GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2005 chevy colorado: 3.5L..2wd..me with a diagnostic..control module

Customer Question

I have a 2005 chevy colorado 3.5L 2wd, the dealer told me with a diagnostic by computer that the (pcm) power control module was having problems, what do I need to do to fix it, do I need to replace the computer or how do I fix the (pcm).
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 8 years ago.
WelcomeCustomer If the PCM has failed, it may be possible that it is covered under warranty. What is the mileage on your truck? And if it has failed, then it will require replacement. Do you have the codes they found?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't have warranty any more and the code are p0601 & p0453, do I need to replace the computer? because the dealer want to charge me aruond 800$ and I don't have that kind of money, I bought a (pcm) from a performance shop but that didn't solve the problem what do I need to do?
Ok. The PCM is covered beyond the 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. What is the mileage and VIN of your truck? I will look at the codes while you read this.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
my vin # XXXXX my milage is 86,685
Ok, the P0601 is the kicker, like you have been told, that means a new PCM. That code is for an internal PCM failure. To fix it, you need to replace the PCM and then program it. The programming will need to be done by a dealer as it requires a scan tool and access to the GM programming interface called TIS2WEB. I know of no way to get around this. The PCM is covered to 80,000 miles or 130,000 kms.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I notice that the pcm is attached to the computer, do I need to replace the computer in order to have my car running again or the dealer open the computer and replaces the pcm from the computer, I was wondering if I can use the PCM that I bought.
The PCM is the computer. PCM stand for Powertrain Control Module. You only need to replace the PCM, then have it programmed.