Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2000 chevy lumina - how to remove the engine/transmission as

2000 chevy lumina - how to remove the engine/transmission assembly
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Here are directions:

Engine:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the hood panel using the following procedure and observing the following cautions:

WARNING DO NOT allow the hood to fold back onto the windshield. Windshield and paint damage will result from improper handling of the hood. When removing any body panel, apply tape to the corners of the panel and adjacent surfaces to help prevent paint damage.

1. Open and support the hood.
  2. Disconnect the underhood lamp wire.
  3. Mark the upper hood hinge location with a grease pencil to aid in reassembly alignment.
  4. With an assistant, remove the hood hinge bolts and carefully lift the hood from the vehicle.
  1. Remove the air cleaner duct.
  2. Drain the engine coolant into a suitable container.
  3. Remove the engine mount struts The struts are wish-bone shaped pieces that, on one end, attach to the cylinder head and on the other end, to the radiator support. Both ends attach with a through-bolt that should be removed, then the struts can be removed.
  4. Remove the right side strut bracket using the following procedure:
    1. Remove the horizontal bolts from the air conditioning compressor and set the compressor aside.
    2. Remove the vertical bolt from the right side engine mount strut bracket.
  5. Carefully tag for identification all engine wiring harness connectors. Be neat and accurate. A minute spent now will save much time later. Unplug these connectors from engine components, the engine sensors and the engine grounds.
  6. Remove the accelerator control and cruise control servo cables from the throttle body.
  7. Remove the accelerator control cable bracket with the accelerator control and cruise control servo cables and set aside.
  8. Remove the power steering pump with the lines still attached and set aside.
  9. Disconnect the heater outlet hose from the thermostat bypass pipe.
  10. Disconnect the heater inlet hose from the inlet pipe.
  11. Disconnect the lower radiator hose from the water pump.
  12. Disconnect the power brake vacuum booster hose from the upper intake manifold.
  13. Carefully tag for identification all engine vacuum hoses. Disconnect the vacuum hoses from the engine to the body.
  14. Disconnect the fuel lines.
  15. Remove the automatic transaxle vacuum modulator pipe. This is a piece of steel tubing bent to conform to the engine, that allows engine vacuum to reach the transaxle vacuum modulator, to help smooth shifting. It has rubber connectors on both ends. A clip should hold the pipe to the engine about halfway up the pipe.
  16. Raise and safely support the vehicle
  17. Drain the engine oil.
  18. Disconnect the three-way catalytic converter pipe from the right side (rear) exhaust manifold.
  19. Remove the automatic transaxle fluid filler tube using the following procedure:
    1. Disconnect the front exhaust manifold pipe.
    2. Remove the power steering gear heat shield.
    3. Remove the bolt from the filler tube bracket and remove the filler tube.
  20. Remove the transaxle brace. This is a small bracket at the top of the transaxle bellhousing.
  21. Remove the engine mount lower nuts using the following procedure:

WARNING Use a block of wood under the oil pan when raising or supporting the engine. Jacking against the oil pan may cause the oil pan to bend against the pump screen and result in a damaged pickup unit.

1. Remove the right front wheel and tire.
  2. Remove the right engine splash shield. Use care since the Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) harness runs through the splash shield. Remove the push-in retainers to release the ABS harness.
  1. Remove the push-in retainers from the splash shield and remove the splash shield from the lower flange of the engine compartment side rail.
    1. The engine mount rests on the drivetrain cradle and two studs face downward from the mount, through the cradle. Remove the engine mount lower nuts from the studs.
  2. Remove the starter motor. Please see the procedure in .
  3. Remove the torque converter-to-flywheel bolts.
  4. Remove the lower engine-to-transaxle bolts.
  5. Lower the vehicle.
  6. Remove the upper engine to transaxle bolts.
  7. Suitably support the transaxle with safety stands.
  8. Attach a suitable engine lifting device.
  9. Remove the engine from the vehicle.

graphic

Transmission:

2. Remove the cosmetic/acoustic engine cover.
  3. Remove the air cleaner duct.
  4. Tag for identification, if necessary, then detach the electrical connectors from the transaxle. These connectors include the Transaxle Range Switch and the solenoid harness connector.
  5. If equipped with the 4T60-E transaxle, disconnect the vacuum hose from the vacuum modulator.
  6. Disconnect the transaxle range selector lever cable from the transaxle range switch. Unbolt the cable bracket and set aside the bracket with the cable.
  7. Remove the fluid filler tube.
  8. Remove the upper transaxle bolts including the wiring harness grounds.
  9. Install a suitable engine support fixture such as GM engine support fixture tool J 28467-A and J-36462, or equivalent. It must be capable of supporting the weight of the engine and the transaxle.
  10. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  11. Remove the front wheel and tire assemblies.
  12. Disconnect both tie rod ends from the steering knuckles, as outlined in of this guide.
  13. Remove the power steering gear heat shield, then remove the power steering gear-to-subframe retaining bolts. Separate the power steering gear from the subframe and secure to the vehicle with wire.
  14. Disconnect the power steering cooler line clamps from the subframe.
  15. Remove the engine mount-to-frame retaining nuts and washers.
  16. Disconnect the lower ball joints from the steering knuckles, as outlined in .
  17. Remove the torque converter cover and then remove the starter motor. Please see for more details.
  18. Remove the torque converter bolts.
  19. Drain the transaxle fluid into a suitable container. Refer to for more information.
  20. Disconnect the transaxle oil cooler hoses from the transaxle. Use care not to damage the fittings
  21. Remove the drive axles (halfshafts) from the vehicle using the procedures found in this section.
  22. Detach the wiring connectors from the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) and the wheel speed sensor harness connectors.
  23. Support the transaxle/subframe with a transaxle table or equivalent.
  24. Disconnect the transaxle brace.
  25. Remove the remaining transaxle-to-engine and engine-to-frame transaxle bolts.
  26. Remove the frame-to-body bolts. More information is available in under Engine Removal and Installation. GM specifies that new replacement subframe bolts must be used.

CAUTION Use care removing the transaxle. The torque converter will tend to fall out of the transaxle housing. It weighs approximately 65 pounds and could cause serious injury if allowed to fall. Restrain the torque converter with wire or a strap or some device to keep the torque converter in place.

1. Lower the transaxle and subframe assembly from the vehicle.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.