Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)

How do I reset the check engine light on a 2000 Cavalier 2.

Customer Question

how do I reset the check engine light on a 2000 Cavalier 2.2 ;without using anOBD2 scanner>
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 8 years ago.
Sorry, you don't. Even with a scanner, the failed component must be repaired or the light will just keep coming on. If you clear the code and then turn the key on, the computer senses the fault all over again and turns the light back on, every time the key is turned back on, because the system runs a self test each time it is keys up. You might try tunning the car by an Auto Zone or a Pep Boys auto parts store. They will scan the system for you as a free service. At least that way, you will have an idea of what the problem is that your fighting. You may find it is as simple as a loose gas cap or a broken connection someplace in the system. But, you can't just shut the light off anymore. You can't even pull the bulb out of the dash, because it no longer uses a bulb, but has an LED soldered into the circuit on the new cars instead. Sorry, thanks