michael
michael, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 ASE Cert.; over 20 yrs. exp./18 with GM

1993 chevy: 3500 4x4..a solenoid and now it just wont shift..park

my 1993 chevy 3500 4x4 would not shift into 3 or 4 gear. i relpaced a solenoid and now it just wont shift to anything. not even park.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  michael replied 5 years ago.
hello. when you had the trans pan off... did you have the shifter cable disconnected as well? also, did you remove anything while you had the pan off... other than the solenoid? lastly, which solenoid did you replace?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did not touch any thing other than the filter. it was the shift solenoid on the passenger side of the truck. when i first replaced the solenoid, it drove about a quarter a mile then a loud pop then it wouldn't move.
Expert:  michael replied 5 years ago.

hello. there is a "check" i'd like you to do first.. and depending on the result... one of the 2 issues listed below is the most likely failure to your vehicle.

the "check" is to block the wheels of the vehicle... start it and put it into drive... look at the rear driveshaft and see if it's rotating. IF the shaft is rotating the ring and pinion have failed. if it isn't rotating... see the issues listed below.

there is only 1 of 2 issues that would cause this type of problem.

1. the planetary gear set in the transmission has broken and the power flow thru the transmission can't reach the transfer case. BUT this type of failure would be accompanied by a grinding/growling noise in reverse or any forward gears from the rear area of the transmission. if this is the case i'd recommend replacing the transmission.
  2. failure of the transfer case planetary set. this type of failure MAY not make noise... and would give all of the issues you have. you could try shifting it into 4wd lo and see if the vehicle operates. if it operates fine at that point, i'd recommend replacing the transfer case.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
one more thing i could think of. when you pull it down into park it makees a grinding noise.
Expert:  michael replied 5 years ago.
when it makes this "noise"... if you shut the engine off does the noise slow down and stop just as the engine dies out?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i dont know i took it out of park because i didnt want to tear anything up
Expert:  michael replied 5 years ago.
well, since the noise happened when you attempted to put the vehicle into park... i'd say that the issue is the transfer case has a damaged planetary or output shaft. if you've already checked to make sure the rear driveshaft doesn't rotate when in gear and engine running... then the only other component that could cause a loss of all gears is the transfer case.
michael, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 ASE Cert.; over 20 yrs. exp./18 with GM