Scott K
Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor
Experience:  20 yrs Experience; GM factory Training ASE Master Certified with L1 advanced engine diagnostics

How do I remove fuse box under my back seat in a 2003 trailblazer?

how do I remove fuse box under my back seat in a 2003 trailblazer?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Scott K replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

Below are GM instructions, I have also included seat removal instructions for the EXT as called for in the instructions. also notice special precautions when disconnecting the BCM below.

Let me know if you have more questions

Scott

Rear Electrical Center or Junction Block Replacement

Caution: Unless directed otherwise, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position, and all electrical loads must be OFF before servicing any electrical component. Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent an electrical spark should a tool or equipment come in contact with an exposed electrical terminal. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

1. Disconnect the battery negative cable.
  2. If replacing the rear electrical center on a Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT or GMC Envoy XL, remove the left second row seat. Object Number: 683548  Size: SH

3. If replacing the rear electrical center on a Chevrolet TrailbBlazer, GMC Envoy or Oldsmobile Bravada, position the left second row seat to a cargo position.
  4. Remove the rear electrical center cover.
    Object Number: 684302  Size: SH

5. Remove the battery feed terminal nut (2) from the junction block.
  6. Remove the body control module (BCM) from the rear electrical center.
  7. Fully loosen the 3 bolts (1) that retain the junction block to the electrical connectors.
    Object Number: 684301  Size: SH

8. Release the tabs that retain the junction block to the block base.
  9. Remove the junction block from the block base.
    Object Number: 684296  Size: SH

10. Disconnect the instrument panel harness connector (1) from the junction block.
    Object Number: 684303  Size: SH

11. Disconnect the mobile telephone harness connector (1) from the junction block.
    Object Number: 684293  Size: SH

12. Disconnect the body wiring harness connector (1) from the junction block.
  13. Disconnect the headliner harness connector (2) from the junction block.
  14. Disconnect the console harness connector from the junction block.
  15. Remove the block base retaining nuts from the floor studs.
  16. Remove the block base from the floor panel.

Rear Seat Replacement (TrailBlazer EXT, Envoy XL)

1. Remove the communication interface module if removing the right-hand rear seat. Object Number: 827901  Size: SH

2. Remove the front two rear seat mounting nuts (2) securing the seat to the vehicle.
  3. Fold the seat to the stowed position.
  4. Remove the rear two rear seat mounting nuts (2) securing the seat to the vehicle.
  5. Remove the seat from the vehicle.

Body Control Module Replacement

Important:

The ignition switch should be in the OFF position when connecting or disconnecting the connectors to the body control module (BCM).
Always disconnect the 40-way body wiring extension FIRST, the 32-way tan connector SECOND and the 24-way gray electrical connector LAST.
Always connect the 24-way gray electrical connector FIRST, the 32-way tan connector SECOND and the 40-way body wiring extension LAST.
The BCM can set DTCs with the ignition switch in the OFF position. The BCM has battery run down protection for the courtesy lamp circuit. The BCM battery run down protection cannot detect shorts on inputs or other circuits which the BCM does not control. Use the scan tool in order to activate the POWER DOWN NOW mode. Use the POWER DOWN NOW mode in order to check for current draws on circuits that are not controlled by the BCM, or controlled by the battery run down protection system.
Do not touch the exposed electrical contacts of the body wiring extension. Do not open the BCM housing. The module does not have any serviceable components. The module may be replaced only as an assembly.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. If replacing the BCM on a Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT or GMC Envoy XL, remove the left second row seat.
  3. If replacing the BCM on a Chevrolet TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy or Oldsmobile Bravada, position the left hand second seat to a cargo position.
    Object Number: 683548  Size: SH

Object Number: 728745  Size: SH

5. Press down and hold the locking tab (1).
  6. Disengage the sliding latch retaining the BCM to the rear electrical center.

Slide the latch inboard until fully extended, approximately 40 mm (1.6 in).

Object Number: 684396  Size: SH

7. Disconnect the 40-way body wiring extension (1) from the BCM.
    Object Number: 709161  Size: SH

8. Disconnect the 32-way tan electrical connector (2) from the BCM.
  9. Disconnect the 24-way gray electrical connector (1) from the BCM.
    Object Number: 684391  Size: SH

10. With an upward motion, remove the BCM (1) from the rear electrical center.
Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor
Experience: 20 yrs Experience; GM factory Training ASE Master Certified with L1 advanced engine diagnostics