Eric, Master Technician/shop foreman
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, 25 years experience, Over400 General Motors certifications

tow/haul switch repair

tow/haul switch repair
Hi, could you be a little more specific? What are you trying to do, replace the tow/haul switch? Let me know, Thanks Eric
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for getting back to me.
The tow/haul switch has stopped working. I would rather not take it to the dealer because I hear it can be very time consuming to trouble-shoot. I would like to have it working because I tow a travel trailer often.

I had some electrical problems with the truck when my trailer was repaired. The trailer is a vintage Airstream. Electrical system had to be rewired correctly. Some fuses blew on the truck.

Could the Tow/Haul problem be a blown fuse or relay? How do I diagnose the problem myself, then I could find out where to take it for the replacement.
Okay, its pretty easy to check the switch itself. Remove the plastic trim covers on the steering column. Then you will see a small harness coming from the shift lever, follow that down and you will find a small plug. Disconnect the switch and jump the two wires together on the harness side, (no on the switch side) with key on and wires jumped if the tow/haul indicator lights then you have a bad switch and you will need to replace the shift lever. Let me know if i can help you further, Please click on accept if this has helped. Thanks Eric
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I already accepted your answer, but I wanted to follow up if the software will allow it.

I am happy to report that the tow-haul light comes on when I press the switch. I have not actually tested the function on the road. I spliced the broken wires with electrical connectors and reinforced the splice with electrical tape.

I took apart the steering column plastic clamshell cover. I discovered that the wires had frayed apart on either side of a clamp or channel holding the wire to the steering column, but it actually looked like a clean cut on both sides. I am amazed that no short circuit caused additional damage. Maybe the voltage/amps were low enough to prevent such damage. The action of the gear shift apparently had stressed the wire and caused it to break.

I tested the wiring with my multimeter and found that current was present, so I proceeded to make the repair.

The malfunction of the tow/haul switch was a coincidence with the same time I had electrical problems with the travel trailer's electrical system and connection to the truck. I am glad that so far, it seems I have no damage to the electrical system because of the trailer wiring.

I did not route wiring through the clamp attached to the steering column. The bulk of the splicing and tape reinforcement prevented doing that. The gear shift action will probably continue to stress the wire. This seems to be a design issue to keep an eye on. Maybe six years will pass before needing more attention (2002 Silverado 2500 HD, 6.6 TD).

Again, thank you for your help.
Glad you got it fixed. thanks Again, Eric