Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

2000 GMC truck: sierra..the ignition switch to replace it..cyclinder

2000 GMC truck sierra, how do you remove the ignition switch to replace it after someone tried to steal it. Need to remove and replace the whole cyclinder?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

Sending information on the lock cylinder and the ignition switch both.

Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement - On Vehicle

Removal Procedure

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. .
  2. Disable the SIR system. .
  3. Lower the hush and knee bolster. .
  4. Remove the steering column trim covers. With the key installed, turn the key to the RUN position.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

5. Install an allen wrench into the hole on top of the lock cylinder housing.

Push down on the allen wrench to release the tab on the lock cylinder inside the lock cylinder housing.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

6. Slide the lock cylinder out of the lock cylinder housing.

Installation Procedure

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

1. Install the key into the lock cylinder.

Important: The gears between the ignition switch and the lock cylinder housing must be in the correct position. Failure to do so will cause a misalignment of the gears in the ignition switch and the lock cylinder housing, which may result in a NO START or BATTERY DRAIN.

2. Use a screwdriver to rotate the lock cylinder housing gear clockwise to the start position - allowing it to spring return into the RUN position.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

3. Align the lock cylinder and install into the lock cylinder housing.
  4. Install the steering column trim covers. Install the hush and knee bolster. .
  5. Enable the SIR system. .
  6. Connect the negative battery cable.

Ignition Switch Replacement - On Vehicle

Removal Procedure

1. Disable the SIR system.
  2. Remove the tilt lever.
  3. Remove the trim covers from the column.
  4. Disconnect the steering column electrical connectors.
    Object Number: 322946  Size: SH

5. Remove the wire harness assembly (1) from the wire harness strap (2).
  6. Remove and dispose of the smaller wire harness straps.
    Object Number: 306234  Size: SH

7. Slide the 2 connectors (2) of the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly out of the bulkhead connector (1).
    Object Number: 306267  Size: SH

8. Remove the key alarm connector (1) from the lock module assembly (2).
    8.1. Rotate the key alarm connector (1) 90 degrees.
    8.2. Pull the key alarm connector (1) out of the lock module assembly (2).

Object Number: 306272  Size: SH

9. Remove the 2 tapping screws (2) from the ignition and key alarm switch assembly (1).
  10. Remove the ignition and key alarm switch assembly (1) from the lock module assembly.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 306272  Size: SH

1. Install the ignition and key alarm switch assembly (1) onto the lock module assembly.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

2. Screw the 2 tapping screws (2) into the ignition and key alarm switch assembly (1).

Tighten
    Tighten the 2 tapping screws to 1.5 N·m (13 lb in).

Object Number: 306267  Size: SH

3. Install the key alarm connector (1) into the lock module assembly (2).
    3.1. Push the key alarm connector (1) into the lock module assembly (2).
    3.2. Rotate the key alarm connector (1) 90 degrees so that the key alarm connector (1) locks into place.

Object Number: 306234  Size: SH

4. Slide the 2 connectors (2) of the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly into the bulkhead connector (1).
  5. Connect the steering column electrical connectors.
    Object Number: 322946  Size: SH

6. Attach new wire harness straps to the wire harness assembly (1).
  7. Attach the wire harness assembly (1) to the wire harness strap (2).
  8. Install the trim covers to the column.
  9. Install the tilt lever.
  10. Enable the SIR system.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I believe we are having difficulty getting the key to the start position. I think this prohibits the alignment of the cyclinder to get the allen wrench to drop down into the cyclinder to get it to release. any suggestions?
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

That makes it much more difficult as you already know. What you will need to do, is to set the new lock cylinder in place along side the one in the column and then estimate about where the push in retainer pin is and drill a new hole in the housing so you can access the pin in the old cylinder and push it down to slide the cylinder out of the housing. If you make the hole too big the cylinder will not be a tight fit in the housing. If it is too small you will need to hog it out enough to access the pin. It is either that or replace the complete lock cylinder housing. So, either way it needs to come out and if you mess it up, you are no worse off than if you replaced the housing anyway. We have the same kind of a problem with the Cavaliers and end up replacing a lot of housings on them when the ignition lock cylinder fails. Before you start drilling, make sure the battery is up, maybe reconnect it and turn the key, then unhook the battery again. (be sure radio is in off position so it does not go to theft lock mode. Also check the shift lock solenoid and make sure the lever is all of the way in park.

Sending another page from the manual for you. Note the blue high lights will not open for you as they are GM access only. Let me know how you make out. Thanks

Ignition Key Cannot Turn or Sticks in Any Position

Cause

Action

The automatic transmission shift lock control system is damaged.

Repair or replace the BTSI as needed. Refer to Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control Disassemble - Off Vehicle or Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control Assemble - Off Vehicle .

The lock cylinder housing assembly is damaged.

Replace the lock cylinder housing. Refer to Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement - On Vehicle .

The shaft assembly is damaged.

Replace the shaft assembly. Refer to the appropriate procedure from the following list:

Steering Shaft, Lower Bearing, and Jacket - Disassemble - Off Vehicle
Steering Shaft, Lower Bearing, and Jacket - Assemble - Off Vehicle

The ignition switch assembly is damaged.

Replace the ignition switch assembly. Refer to the appropriate procedure from the following list:

Ignition and Key Alarm Switch Assembly - Disassemble - Off Vehicle
Ignition and Key Alarm Switch Assembly - Assemble - Off Vehicle

The shaft linkage adjustment is improper.

Adjust the shaft linkage adjustment. Refer to Shift Cable Adjustment or Shift Cable Adjustment in Automatic Transmission.

The rack preload spring is broken or weak.

Replace the rack preload spring.

The park lock cable is not adjusted properly.

Adjust the park lock cable. Refer to the appropriate procedure in Parking Brake from the following list:

Park Brake Cable Service/Adjustment
Park Brake Cable Service/Adjustment

The key is incorrect, bent, or twisted.

Replace the key. Refer to Key and Lock Cylinder Coding in General Information.

The rack is bent or broken.

Replace the rack.

Bob, Auto Tech
Experience: Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)