GM Expert
GM Expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified and over 25 years Experience in the Automotive Field
10932846

How do you replace the ignition switch on a 1998 Chevy Silverado?

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Expert replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thanks for using JA,

Here is the step by step procedure to remove the ignition switch. If this info is helpful please click on accept and if you need any other info please let me know.

Thanks msgtperrin

• Disconnect the battery negative cable.
  • Disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System in SIR.
  • Position the steering wheel half way between the upper and lower tilt stops.
  • Remove the steering wheel. Refer to Steering Wheel Replacement .
  • Roll back the shift lever seal from the upper and the lower shrouds.
  • Remove the 2 TORX® screws from the lower steering column shroud.
  • Remove the lower steering column shroud.
  • Remove the 2 TORX® screws from the upper steering column shroud. Refer to Steering Column Shrouds - Disassemble or Steering Column Shrouds - Disassemble Floor Shift .
  • Lift the upper steering column shroud to gain access to the lock cylinder access hole.

Object Number: 375310  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  • Using a bent tip awl, insert the tip into the ignition lock cylinder access hole.
    Object Number: 375316  Size: SH
  • Turn the ignition lock cylinder to the START position.

Using the bent tip awl, push down on the ignition lock cylinder retaining pin.

• Release the ignition lock cylinder to the RUN position.
    Object Number: 375305  Size: SH
  • Remove the ignition lock cylinder from the lock module assembly by pulling the ignition lock cylinder away from the steering column.
  • Installation Procedure

Object Number: 375309  Size: SH
    1. Insert the ignition lock cylinder through the upper shroud.
    2. Install the ignition lock cylinder to the lock module assembly by doing the following:
      2.1. Align the positioning slot and locking tab slot on the lock module assembly to the positioning tab and locking tab on the ignition lock cylinder.
      2.2. Push the ignition lock cylinder into the lock module assembly until the locking tab locks against the locking tab.
    3. Install the 2 TORX® screws to the upper shroud.

Tighten
      Tighten the screws to 6 N·m (53 lb in).

4. Install the lower shroud. Refer to Steering Column Shrouds - Assemble or Steering Column Shrouds - Assemble Floor Shift .
    5. Install the shift lever seal to the upper and the lower shrouds.
    6. Install the steering wheel. Refer to Steering Wheel Replacement .
    7. Enable the SIR system. Refer to Enabling the SIR System in SIR.
    8. Connect the battery negative cable.
    9. Perform the Passlock learn procedure. Refer to PASSLOCK Reprogramming Seed and Key in Theft Deterrent.