Dan, Auto Technician
Experience:  GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified
4976144

I have a 2004 Chevy Tahoe. The fan will not work on settings

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Chevy Tahoe. The fan will not work on settings 1-4. It works on 5 though. The rear blower works 1-3. Is this a fuse problem?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Expert replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thanks for using JA,

I dont think it is a fuse problem. What you need to do is remove the blower motor resistor and unplug it from the blower motor and wiring harness. I am sure you will find that it looks burnt. Make sure you check the wiring harness connector and on both ends to ensure it looks good. To remove the resistor it is located on the passenger side floor and there might be a cover you have to remove first. The cover bolts are 7mm and the blower motor resistor bolts are 5.5mm. Let me know what you find and if I can further assist you.

Thanks msgtperrin

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i have no idea where to even look for the blower motor resistor let along how to remove it. from the blower motor and wiring harness. are there any pictures or something to show me where to even start looking
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
#06-01-39-002C: Blower Motor Inoperative or May Not Shut Off in Extremely Low Ambient Temperature Conditions (Replace Blower Motor Control Module) - (Jan 18, 2008)

Subject:Blower Motor Inoperative or May Not Shut Off in Extremely Low Ambient Temperature Conditions (Replace Blower Motor Control Module)

Models:2004-2007 Buick Rainier
2003-2006 Cadillac Escalade Models
2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2003-2007 Chevrolet TrailBlazer Models
2007 Chevrolet Silverado (Classic)
2003-2006 GMC Sierra Models, Yukon Models
2003-2007 GMC Envoy Models
2007 GMC Sierra (Classic)
2003-2004 Oldsmobile Bravada
2003-2006 HUMMER H2 Models
with Automatic Temperature Control HVAC System (RPO CJ2)

This bulletin is being revised to update the model years that are affected and add the Oldsmobile Bravada. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-01-39-002B (Section 01 -- HVAC).

Condition

Some customers may comment that the blower motor is inoperative or continues to run after the vehicle has been shut off.

Cause

These conditions may be caused by a blower motor control module failure. This failure may occur when the vehicle is operated in ambient temperature conditions of -23°C (-10°F) or below.

Correction

Important: Replace the blower motor control module if the vehicle experienced a blower motor control module failure in extremely cold ambient temperature conditions.

Technicians are to replace the blower motor control module, also called the Linear Power Module (LPM), with the P/N listed below. Refer to either the Blower Motor Control Processor Replacement or Blower Motor Processor Replacement-Auxiliary procedures in SI. After replacement of the blower motor control module, the customer may notice a slightly higher than expected blower motor speed at any of the blower speed settings.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

Qty

89018849

Module Assembly, Auxiliary Blower Motor Control (Rear System on Escalade ESV, Suburban, Yukon XL)

1

89018964

Module, HTR & BLO & A/C CONT (Front system only vehicles - Except H2)

1

89023355

Module Assembly, Blower Motor Control (H2 Models)

1

89024926

Module Assembly, Auxiliary Heater & A/C Control (Rear System on Escalade, Yukon, Tahoe)

1

Instrument Panel Insulator Replacement

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 787371  Size: SH

1. Remove the retaining bolts.
  2. Remove the insulator (1) from the HVAC module by pulling downwards.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the insulator (1) to the HVAC module.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

Object Number: 787371  Size: SH

2. Install the retaining bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 1.6 N·m (14 lb in).

3.  

Blower Motor Control Processor Replacement

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 476821  Size: SH

1. If equipped, remove the sound insulator panel. Refer to Instrument Panel Insulator Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gages and Console.
  2. Disconnect the electrical connector at the blower motor.
    Object Number: 735938  Size: SH

3. Disconnect the electrical connector (4) from the blower motor control processor (2).
  4. Remove the blower motor control processor retaining screws (3) from the HVAC module (1).
  5. Remove the blower motor control processor (2) from the HVAC module (1).

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 735938  Size: SH

1. Install the blower motor control processor (2) to the HVAC module (1).

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

2. Install the blower motor control processor retaining screws.

Tighten
    Tighten the screws to 1.6 N·m (14 lb in).

3. Connect the electrical connector (4) to the blower motor control processor (2).
    Object Number: 476821  Size: SH

4. Connect the electrical connector at the blower motor.
  5. If equipped, install the sound insulator panel. Refer to Instrument Panel Insulator Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gages and Console.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm not a mechanic so i don't know where these things are located on the tahoe. is this site to help out other mechanics or for the ordinary guy fix things. is this something that i can do by myself? i'm fairly mechanically inclined.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
This is something you can do. The sound insulator panel is located under the right side of the instrument panel. Once off you can see the blower motor and blower motor control module/resistor module. Like GM Expert said it's held in by 2 5.5mm screws.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so when you say its under the right side of the instrument panel is that below the glove box by the feet of the passenger up front.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Yes, that is correct. There is a black plastic cover about 3 feet long that needs to be removed to gain access to that blower motor resistor module. The cover is held in place by (3) 7mm screws.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
these replacement parts that might be needed do i have to get them at a dealer or can they be bought at a autozone or Orielys and do you have any idea how much they cost
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
The blower motor resistor module is a dealer only item and if I had to guess around $100.00 plus tax.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

if i tear this thing apart and can't do it myself. i assume the truck will still run to drive it to the dealership. what if i have questions once i get it apart?

Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Yes you can tear it apart and still drive the truck if need be and if you still need more assistance let me know and I will give it to you ok.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how do i contact you after i click accept
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
You can come on here and request me as an expert. If you have any questions about that contact JustAnswer because I only know this end of the business. Thanks for the accept and keep me posted ok.
Dan, Auto Technician
Experience: GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I don't know if you remember me but i had the tahoe with the fan that wouldn't work on 1-4 but would work on 5

Anyway i have the cover off and took off what appears to be the blower motor control. it has a green circuit board that missing some of the green coating and is really dirty and looks to be burnt is this what i i need to replace? when disconnected the 5 setting on the fan doesn't work either

Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 6 years ago.
HelloCustomer I see Dan is offline. If there is a burnt spot on the circuit board, then you need to replace it. It is called the blower motor resistor. This unit controls all the speeds, and that is why none work with it out. When you replace it, check and make sure the connector that goes into the bottom of this resistor unit is not melted or damaged.