Glenn
Glenn, Technician/Trainer
Experience:  28 years experience, Interprovincially Licenced Motor Vehicle Mechanic and Trainer
12136997

My 1996 Chevy Silverado is stuck in park. My friend tells

Customer Question

My 1996 Chevy Silverado is stuck in park. My friend tells me that I probably need to replace the inline fuse? Is this true? and if so where is this wire / fuse located?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer/p>

Do your turnsignals and backup lights work ok ? If so, the fuse is ok. The shift interlock solenoid is powered from the fuse that feeds those circuits.

The solenoid is energized to prevent a shift out of park without the depressing of the brake pedal. Depressing the brake pedal de-energizes the solenoid, allowing the shifter to be moved out of park.

Want a short cut ? Pull the turn/backup fuse and restart the truck. Can you pull it out of park now ? If so, there is something wrong with the shift interlock components or the wiring.

If you can't pull it out of park with the fuse pulled, then one of the following may be the cause:

1/ seized shifter

2/ mechanically stuck shift interlock solenoid

3/ wiring problem (power shorted into the shift interlock circuit

Here's an explanation of the circuit.

A pink wire comes into the park/neutral switch on pin C. It should be showing battery voltage with the key on. A light green wire comes out of the park neutral switch on pin B.

The park neutral switch, located on the side of the transmission

park neutral switch location

allows pin C to connect to pin B when the shifter is in PARK only. The light green wire that came out of pin C on that switch travels to the TCC/STOP LAMP SWITCH pin C. It comes out of that switch only when the brake pedal is released on pin D , which is a dark green/white wire. That wire runs to the shift interlock solenoid. This solenoid is on the steering column. This wire should show power when the brake is released and the power should go away when the pedal is applied. If the power does not go away when the pedal is depressed, try disconnecting the TCC/STOP LAMP SWITCH. If the shifter works ok now the switch is either defective or incorrectly adjusted. The solenoid allows the shifter to move when it is NOT powered.

Well, I've probably given you way more info here than you wanted. Sorry if it's information overload.

I hope this information has been helpful to you. Please contact me if you require further assistance.