Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Technician
Experience:  25 years automotive experience, Certified Subaru Tech and Nissan factory trained.

high pitched whistle noise when first start car then goes away

high pitched whistle noise when first start car then goes away after car warms up. 2000 tracker sometimes it sounds like it's whistling at me.
Hi there!This sounds like a loose belt.Try spraying a little water on the belts when you first start it up.If the noise goes away with the water it is a belt.You cna also look at the condition of the belts.With the engine off check for cracks in the belt.Hope this helps!Thanks
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My husband seems to think it's an exhaust leak or something with air movement. He has checked the belst and replaced them last winter.
Exhaust is always a possibility.Especially cold.Have him look at the exhaust manifold bolts and see if he can tighten them a bit.If there are shields on the manifold he could remove it and check for leaks as well,maybe look and make sure it is not cracked.Belts can stretch over time,just have him check the tension to be sure.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi again!

I sure appreciate all that you have suggested. I will try all the suggestions. The noise I am referring to occurs when the car is first started and then noticed when the car is moving it doesn't last long until the car warms up and when the gas is applied. Then as I drive it, it goes away on it's own. It lasts only 3-5 minutes.