GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

I HAVE A 2004 CHEVY MALIBU WHICH HAS A BROKE SIR COIL.I CANT

Customer Question

I HAVE A 2004 CHEVY MALIBU WHICH HAS A BROKE SIR COIL.I CAN'T AFFORD TO PAY TO FIX IT BUT I KNOW HOW TO WORK ON MY CARS YET THIS IS ONE PROBLEM I'VE NEVER HAD TO DEAL WITH IN THE PAST.SO CAN U EXPLAINED HOW TO DO IT PLEASE          MR LEON
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 6 years ago.
Welcome Mr Leon. Which coil are you wanting to replace and is your Malibu a MAXX or the classic Malibu?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
classic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the sis coil on the stering wheel

Ok. Here are the instructions.

Object Number: 294367  Size: SH

• Disable the SIR System by unhooking the battery.
  • Remove the inflatable restraint steering wheel module.
  • Rotate the steering wheel one half turn to the right to access the steering wheel inflator module screws.

• Remove the screws from the back of the steering wheel inflator module using a TORX® driver.
  • Remove the steering wheel inflator module (1) from the steering wheel (3).
  • Remove the connector position assurance (CPA) from the electrical connector on the steering wheel inflator module.
  • Disconnect the electrical connectors from the steering wheel inflator module.
  • Disconnect the horn ground lead from the steering wheel.
  • Rotate the horn contact lead counterclockwise ¼ turn in order to remove the horn contact lead from the steering column shaft tower.
  • Remove the steering wheel nut.
  • Note the mark on the steering shaft and the steering wheel to ensure proper alignment during installation.
  • Remove the steering wheel from the steering shaft.
  • Remove the steering column trim covers. Object Number: 322951  Size: SH

• Remove the wire harness straps from the steering wheel column wire harness.
  • Disconnect the SIR harness from the back of the fuse panel.
  • Remove the retaining ring (3).
  • Remove the SIR coil (4) from the steering shaft.
  • If replacing, discard the SIR coil.
  • Installation Procedure

Object Number: 332911  Size: SH

1. To install the SIR coil, perform the following procedure:
      1.1. Aim the wheels straight ahead.
      1.2. Align the block tooth and the centering mark on the race and upper shaft assembly at the 12 o'clock position.

Object Number: 396373  Size: SH

Important: The new SIR coil will be pre-centered. Do not remove the centering tab from the new SIR coil until the installation is complete. If the SIR coil does not come with a centering tab, you must center the SIR coil.

Object Number: 312359  Size: SH

1. Align the SIR coil assembly (1) with the horn tower on the turn signal cancel cam assembly (2).
      Object Number: 322951  Size: SH

Important: The new SIR coil will be pre-centered. Do not remove the centering tab from the new SIR coil until the installation is complete.

2. Slide the new SIR coil (4) onto the steering shaft assembly (2).
    3. Firmly seat the retaining ring (3) into the groove on the steering shaft assembly (2).
    4. Remove and discard the centering tab from the new SIR coil (4).
    5. Connect the SIR harness to the back of the fuse panel.
    6. Install the steering column trim covers.
      Object Number: 294367  Size: SH

7. Feed the wiring through the steering wheel.
    8. Align the steering wheel with the mark on the steering shaft. Install the steering wheel onto the shaft.
    9. Install the nut for the steering wheel.

Tighten
      Tighten the nut to 41 N·m (30 lb ft).

10. Install the inflatable restraint steering wheel module.
    11. Connect the battery.
    GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
    Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.

hello hey

i want to know the instuctions you sent is the the key to start the car on the stering wheel or on the dash in front of the stering wheel

Those instructions are for the key in the dash. There is one picture that is generic for the car line.
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.

HELLO

WE STARTED TO WORK ON THE CAR AND WERE ALREADY STUCK.I CAN NOT REMOVE THE TOP OF THE STERING WHEEL WHERE THE EMBLEM IS.WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?PLEASE HELP.

If you are referring to the drivers air bag itself, in the middle of the steering wheel, here is the portion of the instructions I sent you that covered that.

To remove the inflatable restraint steering wheel module:

• Customer: replied 6 years ago.

WE TOOK OUT THE MODULE SCREWS (2 OF THEM) BUT THE STERING STILL DOES NOT WANT TO COME OUT.WHATS WRONG THAT IT DOES'NT COME OFF

(THE STERING WHEEL)

You are only pulling gently on the top portion of the pad? The lower portion of the steering wheel trim will stay attached.
    Object Number: 296671  Size: SH

• Customer: replied 6 years ago.

WE ARE DOING AS INSTUCTED BUT WE STILL CAN"T PULL OFF THE RESTRAINT STEERING WHEEL MODULE. ALSO COULD YOU SEND US THAT LAST PICTURE LIKE YOU SENT US THE OTHERS SO WE CAN PRINT IT TO BE ABLE TO SEE IT BETTER THE WAY IT IS NOW IS TO SMALL TO SEE.ALL THE OTHER PICTURES WE WERE ABLE TO PRINT BUT NOT THIS LAST ONE.

DO I HAVE TO PULL THE STEERING WHEEL MODULE OR IS IT SUPPOSE TO COME OUT VERY EASY?

Once you have the screws out, the steering wheel module should just pull off. The screws you removed, were the on the back side and easy to get at, or were they back in the trim and hidden? Also, post the VIN of your car.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    1G1ZU54884F110038--VIN BACK IN THE TRIM HIDDEN

Ok. That explains everything. You do not have a classic malibu, yours is the new style. There is a special tool for releasing the air bag. You might be able to use 2 flat blade screwdrivers. Install those 2 screws. Place the steering wheel at 3:00 and place each screwdriver in the slot as shown below. Lift on the screw drives. This system uses a spring and hooks. The blade of the screw driver will catch on the spring and when you pry, if you have it placed correctly, the one end should pop out 1/4 inch or so. Then rotate the steering wheel to the 9:00 and do the same.

Object Number: 640349  Size: SH

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    OK I WILL TRY THAT AND GET BACK TO YOU THANKS
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.

HEY HERE IS SOMETHING.WHEN WE BOUGHT THE COILTHERE WAS A SWITCH

WE HAD TO BUY THEY CALLED THE WHOLE THING (A KIT)JUST FOR YOUR INFORMATION.ANY ?LET ME KNOW.THANK YOU AGAIN.

I am glad to hear it worked and your car is on the road. I am not sure what switch was included. Did it fit somewhere? Thanks for the positive feedback!!! Be sure to ask for me if you post another Chevy question.
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.

WHEN SOMEONE GOES TO BUY THIS SIR COIL THEY MUST BUY THE WHOLE KIT .THE KIT INCLUDESTHE SIR COIL,ALONG WITH THE SIGNAL LIGHT SWITCH AND THE WIPER SWITCH AND THE CENTER PIECE WHERE THE SIR COIL GOES

WITH SCREWS.THE ONE WE TOOK OFF WAS CLIP-ON THE NEW ONE IS SCREWED ON. HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND NOW. OK ANY ? ASK.HERE

It sounds like a design change. I have not had to change on of these myself, but I will keep this in mind if I do. Thanks.
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    GLAD I COULD BE OF HELP BYE TILL NEXT TIME