Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

how do u install a heater core for a 1997 chevy cavalier

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

Pretty big job on this one as it requires removing the complete instrument panel and dash pad so you can remove the AC heater control box from the fire wall. You may want to print this. If you need any of the pictures enlarged, drop me a note. Thanks

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5

1. If equipped, disable the SIR system, as outlined in of this guide.
  2. If not done already, disconnect the negative battery cable.
  3. Unfasten the defroster grille retaining screw, then remove the grille.
  4. To remove the instrument panel end-caps, for Cavalier, use a suitable prytool. Position the tool behind the cover and carefully pry outward. For the Sunfire, unfasten the end-cap retaining screws and remove the cap.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 1: Air distribution duct mounting-Cavalier shown Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 2: Location of the air distribution duct mounting-Sunfire shown Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 3: Detach the instrument panel lamp connector

1. For the Cavalier, remove the instrument panel trim pad.
  2. Remove the instrument cluster trim plate.
  3. As outlined in of this guide, remove the heater and A/C control panel.
  4. Remove the radio assembly, as outlined in of this guide.
  5. Unfasten the air distribution ducts.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 4: Instrument panel-to-tie bar attachments-Cavalier shown Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 5: Instrument panel-to-tie bar mounting-Sunfire shown

1. Detach the instrument panel compartment lamp electrical connector.
  2. Unfasten the screws to the tie bar, then remove the instrument panel from the tie bar.

To install:

1. Position the instrument panel to the tie bar, then secure with the retaining screws.
  2. Attach the instrument panel compartment lamp connector.
  3. Fasten the air distribution ducts.
  4. Install the radio and the heater and A/C control.
  5. Install the instrument cluster trim plate.
  6. For the Cavalier, install the instrument panel trim pad.
  7. Install the end caps.
  8. Position the defroster grille, then secure with the retaining screw,
  9. Enable the SIR system, if equipped. For details, please refer to the procedure located in of this guide.
  10. Connect the negative battery cable.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figure 1

1. Disable the SIR system, as outlined in this section.
  2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  3. Properly drain the cooling system.
  4. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  5. Detach the heater hoses from the heater core.
  6. Carefully lower the vehicle.
  7. Remove the instrument panel. For details, please refer to the procedure located in of this guide.
  8. Remove the DERM with the attaching bracket.
  9. Detach the heater core cover.
  10. Unfasten the heater core mounting clamps, then remove the heater core.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 1: Exploded view of the heater core and related componentsTo install:

1. Position the heater core, then secure with the mounting clamps.
  2. Attach the heater core cover.
  3. Install the DERM with the attaching bracket.
  4. Install the instrument panel, as outlined in of this guide.
  5. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  6. Connect the heater hoses to the core.
  7. Carefully lower the vehicle.
  8. Properly refill the engine cooling system and check for leaks.
  9. Enable the SIR system.
  10. Connect the negative battery cable, then start the engine and check for proper system operation and/or leaks.