Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)

2000 chevrolet cavalier z24: disable..the fuel pump..theft system

i have a 2000 chevrolet cavalier z24 that will not start because of the passlock not functioning correctly. This feature is meant to disable the fuel pump wheIn it thinks someone is trying to start the car without the correct key. Even though I am using the correct key it still will not start and the theft system light continues to flash. What do I need to do to disable this so that I can start my car?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 5 years ago.

You can try to do a relearn on the pas key system. If it works, great. If it does not, then you will need to have the system scanned with a class 2 scanner to find out what component has failed. Normally the ignition lock cylinder goes bad or the wires to it break from all of the flexing when you turn the key. But because there are so many other possible reasons, it is best to have the system scanned before throwing parts at it. Follow the instructions below to the letter. Thanks

30 Minute Learn Procedure

Tools Required:

None

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).

Important: The vehicle learns the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6. Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or password).
  7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed (history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles).
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience: Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)