Butch
Butch, Master ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master ASE Certified Technician, 10 years experience, 60+ GM certificates, 150+ GM training courses
9803052

1500 suburban: service engine light is on..autozone to check the codes

i just bought a 1997 1500 suburban. the service engine light is on. so, i took it to autozone to check the codes. their tool showed a timing event code P1354. according to what i understand it could be a loose cam or crank sensor , or a worn timing chain. where is the cam sensor? and what else should i be checking?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Butch replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

This code can be set for a couple different reasons. If the distributor has been removed, chances are it was not reinstalled properly. If it has not been removed then it it could be a worn distributor gear. This can be checked by taking of the distributor cap and turning the rotor back and forth, it should have very little play. The cam sensor is on the distributor, this is what the plug on the back goes to. Here is the diagnosis procedure for this code. If you need more info, just ask.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the distributer appears to have been removed recently. i was a diesel tech for 12 years so i am qualified to tackle the timing process, but need to know the process to get it right this time.
Expert:  Butch replied 5 years ago.

The procedure is easy but you need a scanner that will display the cam retard offset. You basically start the engine and hold it at 1000 rpms. If the cam retard offset is more than +2 or -2 degrees, turn the engine off, loosen the distributor hold down bolt, and turn the distributor a little. Then recheck the cam retard offset. Keep repeating this until you get it as close to 0 as possible. Here is the procedure.

Camshaft Retard Offset Adjustment

Test Procedure

You cannot adjust the ignition timing. You may need to adjust the distributor in order to prevent crossfire. To insure proper alignment of the distributor, perform the following:

1. With the ignition OFF, connect the scan tool.
  2. Start the engine. Allow the engine to idle until the engine reaches the normal operating temperature.

Important: The Cam Retard Offset reading will not be accurate below 1,000 RPM.

3. Increase the engine speed to 1,000 RPM while performing the following steps.
  4. Use the scan tool in order to monitor the Cam Retard Offset.
  5. If the Cam Retard indicates a value of 0 degrees, the distributor is properly adjusted.
  6. If the Cam Retard does not indicate 0 degrees, the distributor must be adjusted.

Adjustment Procedure

Object Number: 18446  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  1. With the engine OFF, slightly loosen the distributor hold down bolt.

2. Start the engine and raise the engine speed to 1,000 RPM.
  3. Use the scan tool in order to monitor the Cam Retard Offset.
  4. Rotate the distributor as follows:
    To compensate for a negative reading, rotate the distributor in the counterclockwise direction.
    To compensate for a positive reading, rotate the distributor in the clockwise direction.
  5. Repeat step 4 until 0 degrees is obtained.
  6. Turn OFF the ignition.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

7. Tighten the distributor hold-down bolt.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolt to 3 N·m (25 lb ft).

8. Start the engine.
  9. Raise the engine speed to 1,000 RPM and view the Camshaft Retard Offset.
Butch, Master ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Master ASE Certified Technician, 10 years experience, 60+ GM certificates, 150+ GM training courses