michael
michael, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 ASE Cert.; over 20 yrs. exp./18 with GM

Is there a fuel kill switch on 2002 Chevy cavalier. If so,

Is there a fuel kill switch on 2002 Chevy cavalier. If so, where is it located?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  michael replied 5 years ago.

hello. there is not any fuel cut-off switch on the cavalier. if the fuel pump isn't running... then it's 1 of 2 issues... the fuel pump has failed... or the vehicle is in "theft mode".

if you crank the vehicle and it starts, runs for a second or so, then dies... it's in theft mode. what you can do to get it out of theft mode is...

1. turn the key off for at least 30 seconds.
  2. turn the key to the run/on position and let all the bulbs do their self-test (about 5 seconds)
  3. attempt to start the vehicle... let it start then stall... leave the key in the on/run position for 12 minutes.
  4. after 12 minutes turn the key off for about 20 seconds then try to start it normally.

if it starts and runs normally... you will have to have the lock cylinder and theft sensor replaced.

NOW, if what i've stated above doesn't apply... you can try another "trick". get someone to try to start the vehicle... while the assistant is cranking the vehicle... using a hammer "tap" on the bottom of the tank and see if the pump starts to operate. if it does... then the pump should be replaced.

please reply with your findings.

michael, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 ASE Cert.; over 20 yrs. exp./18 with GM
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I Appreciate your knowledge and will try this exercise on the car. This is our daughters car, and she used all she had, plus some we had to give her...;.just to tow the car. She cannot afford to replace the pump at this moment, if it needs replacing.

Thank you very much for your help.

John Bowen,

Christina Borst

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I will accept your answer, although you more or less confirmed my instincts. We did ban gon the tank, and nothing. My daughter was on her way to a birthday party in another state. So, you can see why it was such an expensive tow. Anyway, i believed it was the pump..from the start. We will try this exercise you suggested, and who knows....however, she did go over some railroad tracks and then the car died at the light right after. So thinking maybe the jarring caused it to finally go out, when maybe it was going to go out anyway. I just wish she had been closer to home when it happened. Female out stuck on highway.......far from home...not a good thing ever.

Thank you so much.

Oh, and I don't see the accept button yet, but will keep checking. When i go to "my questions" it still said "waiting for expert reply"..even though you already replied.

thanks again.

John Bowen

Christina Borst

Expert:  michael replied 5 years ago.

you can accept if you'd like on this posting... if you need any further assistance let me know and i'll be glad to help you.

as for the railroad tracks... it is a good possibility that the jarring did cause the pump to fail... but first i'd check over all connections at the battery and the fuse block under the hood to make sure that something, other than the pump, didn't get "jarred loose"... like a fuse or a relay.