Greg A
Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Experience:  Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years
5229702

My turn signal on my 2004 Chevy Venture does not work properly.

My turn signal on my 2004 Chevy Venture does not work properly. It flashes about twice as fast as the other turn signal.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Greg A replied 6 years ago.

Hello & Welcome,

A fast flash is an indication of one or more of the bulbs being out.

Did you check that ALL of the bulbs is working on each side. Don't forget the side marker lights in the front.

Thanks, XXXXX

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have replaced both the side marker and the turn signal light. It still flashes.
Expert:  Greg A replied 6 years ago.

The other main issue that is very common on these vans is that the Rear lights sometimes have problems. If you have replace the bulbs, you know that there is a "circuit board" back there. Sometimes moisture gets in there and causes a partial short circuit. This will often cause the bulb sockets to burn and start to melt. This can cause all kinds of issues.

You also didn't mention which side was flashing fast.

You might also want to compare the two sides with the headlights ON and with them OFF. The side marker lights do have a different pattern when the other lights are ON. This might help to isolate the problem.

I can send you a schematic if that would help. Just let me know if you want it.

Take Care, Greg A.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It's the right front turn signal. The parking light was burned out completely. The light compartments are prone to moisture build up. Is there a circuit board in the front as well? If so, a schematic would be very helpful.
Expert:  Greg A replied 6 years ago.

I don't recall a circuit board in the front lights, just sockets.

Was the socket burned at all?

Here is the schematic.

graphic

I seem to recall that if the headlights are ON, the side markers should blink in an "alternate" pattern, instead of at the same time, but I might have that reversed.

Just make sure that each side behaves the same way, on both sides, and in the front and the back. You will have to walk around the van to make sure that happens.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Take Care, Greg A.

Expert:  Greg A replied 6 years ago.

I have an example of how the front side blinkers should work with the lights ON and OFF. Here is a link to that video. Once there, just click on the text for the Normal Working Blinkers."

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK, The side panel marker flashes. The front turn signal does not flash at all. It comes on when the headlights are on, but does not flash with or without the headlights on.
Expert:  Greg A replied 6 years ago.

OK - You have found the problem, or at least the cause of the fast flash.

When you changed the bulb, did you notice any "burned" areas of the socket?

You will have to take the light assembly out again and test for power and ground at that socket, and any signs of wiring or connector damage.

Do you have a multimeter or test light to do some testing?

Thanks

Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Experience: Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years