Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

I have a 1978 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup, Im restoring the truck

Customer Question

I have a 1978 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup, I'm restoring the truck and have opened the rear end up to inspect it. My question is: When I spin one wheel the other wheel does not rotate. Is this normal and what do I do to inspect the rear end to make sure it's in good shape. Dave
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 8 years ago.
To do a basic inspection of the rear axle. Clean all parts with brake cleaner, look for any pitting on the gears that would indicate moisture inside the rear axle. Make sure there is no metallic debris in the housing or in the fluid. To fully check the bearings and gear setup requires several special tools and complete disassembly of the rearend. This is not normally necessary. It is normal for one axle to turn separate from the other with an open differential.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thank you
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 8 years ago.
You are quite welcome.