Butch, Master ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master ASE Certified Technician, 10 years experience, 60+ GM certificates, 150+ GM training courses

If sugar was put in a gas tank how far and long would the car

Customer Question

If sugar was put in a gas tank how far and long would the car drive before it stopped? What damage would it do to a car?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Butch replied 8 years ago.

When sugar is put in gas it turns into a thick slim. Some of it will normally make it through the fuel system before the sock filter on the fuel pump clogs. This will happen pretty fast if enough is put in the tank. Most of the time it will only ruin the fuel pump and fuel filter, but I have seen it clog the fuel injectors, and even damage the pistons. We usually replace the fuel pump and filter and flush the gas tank and gas lines. Then get it running and see what else is damaged.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How long would the car run before shutting down and stopping. How much sugar would need to be put in the gas tank to make it where the pistons had to be replaced. Does the sugar need to be mixed with water or can it just be poured in in solid form
Expert:  Butch replied 8 years ago.

I'm sorry, but I thought it had been done to you. This site is not made to help people do such things as this.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Someone claimed I did this to their car. I am trying to prove that what happened to that car could not have happened by putting sugar in the gas tank. The car drove 30 miles after alleging to have sugar put in gas tank. 2500 dollars worth of repairs which included replacing pistons and engine work. I do not beleive these repairs could have come from putting sugar in gas tank.
Expert:  Butch replied 8 years ago.
I would say that is completely possible that sugar could do this. The longer the car drove with sugar in the gas, the more damage will be done.