Dennis
Dennis, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  28 years driveability and emissions work on all domestic and asian vehicles.
10916496

1998 chevy silverado 1500: It starts fine, runs for 1 second..quits

Hello, I have a 1998 chevy silverado 1500 truck. Some days it goes into a no run mode. It starts fine, runs for 1 second, then quits. the only code that it brings up is loss of communication to the tds. It has been towed to the dealer three time now for the same problem. At first they said it was my aftermarket alarm system,I had it removed. Then they said it was the ignition switch, i replaced it, and have the same problem. If it starts, it never fail again that day. It seem to always happen first thing in the morning. Any ideal?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dennis replied 8 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question, Gtab 1. The possibilities are MANY for this type of problem. The only thing I can tell you is we have to narrow it down first by finding out what we are missing when the engine won't start. We do this by connecting a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail to watch the pressure, a "Noid Lite" on one of the injector connectors and a spark tester at one of the plug wires. Unfortunately it would be best to have all this stuff hooked up each morning when it decides if it is going to start or not. My first suspect would be the crankshaft position sensor, second would be the fuel pump. There is also the "balance fuel pump relay" and "balance fuel pump module" and the computer itself as suspects also. Intermittent problems can be frustrating as the technician must catch the vehicle when it is acting up in order to find the problem. Otherwise everything will check out good when it's starting. Good Luck and let me know if I can be of further assistance!!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hello dennis, I have check fuel pressure when it does not run. I have 56 lbs. pressure, and the fuel pump relay is working. I also have check spark at coil, which it has as well. When it goes into this mode, it starts and runs for 1-2 seconds, then shuts down. You can restart it, and again it will run for a second or two an shut down. Most of the time it has fail, it has been the first start of the morning. It is not bring up any codes and storing them, but when i go back into the history with my scan tool, it shows lost of communication to the theft deterent system, which makes me think it has something to do with the factory alarm system. If it starts, it never fails again that day, and it never stops while running. Does this give you any better ideal?
Expert:  Dennis replied 8 years ago.
Well I saw where you said you had the after market alarm system removed but if this has a theft deterrent system then it has a stock alarm system. When it won't start have you noticed the "security" lite flashing?This does sound like a problem with that system. If the light is flashing then hopefully the shop told you the procedure for resetting the pass code; after attempting to start engine leave key in "run" position for 10 minutes. Light should stop flashing and just be on solid. Engine should start then. Have we tried this?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Dennis, yes i have tryed to reset pass code when it will not run. The funny part about this is, I have not been setting the alarm at all. When it does not run, the security lite is on but not flashing, and the same when it runs. This week i am going to replace the pass code module box under the dash. I feel it has something to do with that little black box dennis. Keep your fingers crossed for me. Thanks for all your help dennis, Greg