Your Auto Inspector
Your Auto Inspector, Assistant Service Manager
Experience:  ASE Certified Parts and Service Specialist
10675526

i have P0341 (CMP sensor circuit out of range) on my 02 savana

Customer Question

i have P0341 (CMP sensor circuit out of range) on my 02 savana 5.0. I've replaced the cam sensor, cleared code, but it keeps coming back. Does someone have idea what to do toward to fix it?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Your Auto Inspector replied 6 years ago.

Your issues is either in the wiring between the PCM and the Camshaft Position Sensor or in the PCM itself. I have inclulded all necessary information including wiring diagram, diagnostic process, and connector views for everything you will need to solve your issue. Please follow the diagnostic process below step by step and you will be able to solve your issue. Any questions about wiring or connectors should be answered by the information below.

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The camshaft position (CMP) sensor is a sensor designed to detect changes in a magnetic field. The control module supplies the CMP sensor with a 12-volt reference, a low reference, and a signal circuit. The CMP sensor produces a magnetic field whenever the ignition is ON. The CMP sensor is mounted near a reluctor wheel that is attached to the distributor shaft. When the distributor shaft rotates, or when the engine is cranking or running, the reluctor wheel changes the magnetic field. The CMP sensor converts each change in the magnetic field into a PULSE. The number of teeth on the reluctor wheel determines how many pulses the CMP sensor detects per camshaft rotation. The control module uses the CMP sensor signal in order to calculate the correct timing for sequential fuel injection. If the powertrain control module (PCM) does not detect the CMP signal while the engine is running, this diagnostic trouble code (DTC) will set.

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC
The engine is running.

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC
The CMP sensor reference pulse is not detected once every 2 crankshaft revolutions.

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS

• The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.
  • The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the control module stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the control module records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The control module writes the operating conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.

CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC

• The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
  • A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
  • A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
  • Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS
If the condition is intermittent, refer to Intermittent Conditions. Electromagnetic interference (EMI) from the ignition coil or from the spark plug wires could cause a faulty signal condition in the CMP signal circuit to the PCM. Ensure that the routing of the CMP circuitry is correct. See: Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures\Intermittent Conditions

TEST DESCRIPTION

graphic

graphic

The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

8. The cam signal on the scan tool should change each time the signal circuit is touched.

9. If the fuse opens in the jumper wire, there is a short to ground on the signal circuit.

Please refer to this connector view and wiring diagram to perform tests on sensor and harness:

graphic

graphic

To find the circuit connection at the ECM/PCM (Engine Computer) refer to the diagram below. Here are the wiring connections to the ECM/PCM:

Cavity A on camshaft sensor = low reference = PCM connector C1 cavity 61

Cavity B on camshaft sensor = CMP sensor signal = PCM connector C1 cavity 73

Cavity C on camshaft sensor = 12v reference = PCM connector C2 cavity 39

graphic

graphic