GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

how to install brakes on a chevy 1500 silverado 4x4

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 6 years ago.
WelcomeCustomer Please tell me, front or rear brakes, rear drums or rear rotors?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have disc brakes front and rear and I need the rear replaced first then the front

Here you go. Rears then fronts.

Rear Disc Brake Pads Replacement

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 695055  Size: SH

1. Inspect the fluid level in the brake master cylinder reservoir.
  2. If the brake fluid level is midway between the maximum-full point and the minimum allowable level, no brake fluid needs to be removed from the reservoir before proceeding.
  3. If the brake fluid level is higher than midway between the maximum-full point and the minimum allowable level, remove brake fluid to the midway point before proceeding.
  4. Raise and support the vehicle.
  5. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.

Notice: Support the brake caliper with heavy mechanic wire, or equivalent, whenever it is separated from its mount and the hydraulic flexible brake hose is still connected. Failure to support the caliper in this manner will cause the flexible brake hose to bear the weight of the caliper, which may cause damage to the brake hose and in turn may cause a brake fluid leak.

6. Remove the caliper from the mounting bracket and support the caliper with heavy mechanic's wire or equivalent. DO NOT disconnect the hydraulic brake flexible hose from the caliper.
  7. Inspect the caliper assembly.
  8. Remove the brake pads from the brake caliper bracket.
  9. Remove the brake pad retainers from the brake caliper bracket.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 728143  Size: SH

1. Using a C-clamp (1), bottom the piston into the caliper bore. Use an old brake pad (2) or wooden block placed across the face of the piston. Do not damage the piston or the caliper boot.
    Object Number: 177028  Size: SH

Important: Use a small flat-bladed tool and lift the inner edge caliper boot next to the piston to release any trapped air.

2. Ensure that the piston boot is below the level of the piston face.
    Object Number: 695055  Size: SH

3. Install the brake pad retainers to the caliper bracket.

Important: Ensure that the wear sensor is positioned at the leading edge, upward, of the inner pad during forward wheel rotation.

4. Install the brake pads over the brake pad retainers and onto the caliper bracket.
  5. Install the caliper to the caliper mounting bracket.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

6. Install 2 new caliper guide pin bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the 2 caliper guide pin bolts to 42 N·m (31 lb ft).

7. Install the tire and wheel assembly.
  8. Lower the vehicle.
  9. With the engine OFF, gradually apply the brake pedal to approximately 2/3 of its travel distance.
  10. Slowly release the brake pedal.
  11. Wait 15 seconds, then repeat steps 9-10 until a firm pedal is obtained. This will properly seat the brake caliper pistons and brake pads.
  12. Fill the master cylinder reservoir to the proper level with clean brake fluid.
  13. Burnish the pads and the rotors.

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 369668  Size: SH

2. If the brake fluid level is midway between the maximum--full point and the minimum allowable level, no brake fluid needs to be removed from the reservoir before proceeding.
  4. Raise and support the vehicle.
  5. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
  6. Inspect the brake caliper operation.
  7. Notice: Support the brake caliper with heavy mechanic wire, or equivalent, whenever it is separated from its mount and the hydraulic flexible brake hose is still connected. Failure to support the caliper in this manner will cause the flexible brake hose to bear the weight of the caliper, which may cause damage to the brake hose and in turn may cause a brake fluid leak.

8. Remove the brake caliper from the brake caliper mounting bracket and support the brake caliper with heavy mechanic's wire or equivalent. DO NOT disconnect the hydraulic brake hose from the brake caliper.
  9. Remove the disc brake pads from the brake caliper mounting bracket.
  10. Remove and discard the anti-rattle clips from the brake caliper mounting bracket.
  11. Inspect the brake caliper and brake caliper mounting bracket.
  12. Installation Procedure

13. Object Number: 369668  Size: SH

14. Install new anti-rattle clips to the brake caliper mounting bracket.
  15. Install the disc brake pads to the brake caliper mounting bracket.
    Install the inner pad, 1 wear indicator.
    Install the outer pad, 2 wear indicators.
  16. Install the brake caliper.
  17. Install the tire and wheel assembly.
  18. Remove the safety stands.
  19. Lower the vehicle.
  20. With the engine OFF, gradually apply the brake pedal to approximately 2/3 of it's travel distance.
  21. Slowly release the brake pedal.
  22. Wait 15 seconds, then repeat steps 7-8 until a firm pedal is obtained. This will properly seat the brake caliper pistons and brake pads.
  23. Fill the master cylinder reservoir to the proper level with clean brake fluid.
  24. Burnish the disc brake pads and rotors.