Kyle N.
Kyle N., ASE Master Auto Tech
Experience:  ASE Master certified Auto Tech, L1 cert., Ca. smog license

My car is jumping & jerking going down the road &..dies..stop sign

Customer Question

my car is jumping & jerking going down the road & sometimes dies at a stop sign.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 8 years ago.

Does it have a high idle speed? Anything else you can tell me about it?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

the idle goes high just for a second or two then it goes back to normal. it has a slight miss to it.

Expert:  Kyle N. replied 8 years ago.
What did the plugs look like?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
got black looking soot on them but no heavy carbon build up.
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 8 years ago.

I'd check or replace the other tune up parts next.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
no ,this answer does not help me, not real helpful ,i have enough mechanical knowledge to already have done these things, NO REAL HELPFUL ADVICE, VERY DISSATISFIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 8 years ago.

I'm sorry you're not satisfied. I'm trying to help you the best I can but worn ignition parts is the most likely cause of a misfire. It's the first thing you should check. If those parts aren't worn and look ok I'd check the basics next like compression and possibly a leak down test on each cylinder. It's not the end of my answer I'm just pointing to the most possible cause for you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i did a comp. test also
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 8 years ago.
Ok what were your readings?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok, i put a idle air control valve on it & it does alot better now but it still spits & jerks a little still at about 80 mph when you punch into it. what could that be? maybe a problem in the fuel pressure??
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 8 years ago.

It very well could be fuel pressure or a bad fuel pressure regulator. You need to do a fuel pressure check at idle then under a load and see if the pressure is good. At 80mph if that's the problem speed I'd drive it to that speed and see what the pressure it. Route the hose under the hood up where the wipers are and duct tape the gauge face to the windshield. That's what we do at the dealer. Let me know if you need more help.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok, i will try that & see what happens & i will get back to you, thanks alot.