GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2002 silverado 2500: / alison Trans..shift lever..stays..goes back

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax w/ Alison Trans.--My shift lever has been dificult to get from gear position to gear position and sometimes won't go into any gear--or--stays in one gear even when lever goes back and forth. This happened once before and a neighbor said to do something and I can not remember the act I had to do ---Help please.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 8 years ago.
WelcomeCustomer This sounds like your shifter cable is damaged or sticking. I would have a person in the cab, set the park brake and while watching the cable on the side of the transmission have the other person move the gear shifter.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
This happened once before and a neighbor saw me stuck in the street and said to do some movement---but I can not remember what they said to do. Does that sound familiar?
No, sorry. The issue you describe, is the shift lever stiff?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

No the lever is not stiff--it goes back and forth eassily and sometimes the gear stays the same. The biggest anomaly is it won't always go into park----stops at reverse.

Ok. The indicator stays in reverse, but the shift lever moves to park. you can move the shift lever but the indicator stays in one spot. Do these sound correct? Thanks for your patience. The more info I can get, the better I can assist you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No. The lever and the indicator move together but the gear may not change. eg: the lever and indicator will move from Drive to reverse and not go further--but the gear will stay at drive. Then the next movemennt may go toward 3rd, 2nd or low and the gear is in reverse OR it will stop in Nuetral. Park is hard to get to and when you get there you stay if you want out of the truck. I pull a 14,000 fifth wheel and am on vacation in the Colo. mountains---so I need help!
So, bare with me. You cannot physically get the shifter to park some times.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Correct
Ok. As I suggested before, you need to inspect the cable and lever assembly on the side of the transmission. I have been trying to find this movement you said your neighbor had, but I can't find anything.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

It was some type of move where they (neighbor) pushed it back or forwards and then put it in gear or park or whatever. The reason I can't remember is it happened to my wife at the end of our driveway and she is unsure what was done.

Ring any bells??

Ok, if you want to put it into park, from under the truck, pull the shift lever/cable all the way forward. Again, I have had no luck finding and trick that fixed this.