GM Master Tech 01
GM Master Tech 01, GM Master Technician
Experience:  GM certified master technician 10 years experience

2001 Chevy Blazer: Rear window latch will not release

Customer Question

2001 Chevy Blazer, Rear window latch will not release. I can hear the acuator but it doesn't release the latch. I can not figure out how to open this to review what is broken? Help
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Master Tech 01 replied 8 years ago.
You need to take the panel and re attatch the release rod, it has came off the latch.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your response, I understand what I have to do but the questions is how do I remove the panel to access the "guts"? There are no access holes, or screws to remove the panel unless I beleive I get the gate to open. I cannot get the gate to open unless the window latch releases. There has to be some type of access to get the window latch to release? I need to know how to do this then I can most likely fix the lever arm from the acuator.

You need to lift the handle inside remove those screws and then the panel pulls of it has push clips holding it in place
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for the help however here is some feedback that I'd like to give.

First off the panel has (3) Screws through molded plastic from the panel. One on top just under the latch coming from the window itself. The other two are on the left and right side of the tailgate. These are all fully concealed when in the closed position. In my attempt to pop the snaps or push clips they broke. Not suprised!
The acuator rod did not come off but the plastic extension from the acuator failed at the stress point contacting to the rod, perhaps they should have run a FEA analysis through a CAD system on the plastic. As with anything else I have to purchase the entire acuator versus just replacing the plastic arm. So $2 vs $100, Nice, love this stuff! Just some info to point in your knowledge base for future reference.
I don't think there is a way to remove this panel with out a little damage to the panel.
Thanks for the effort!