GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

1998 chevy suburban: cranks..wont start..a security system gliche

my 1998 chevy suburban cranks but won't start, did it before and i just pushed lock unlock a few times and all was fine. seems a security system gliche ,not sure, this time my button pushing isn't fixing the problem, and thier is no "security" button on the remote, just lock and unlock. Why won't it start?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 8 years ago.
WelcomeCustomer No, the key fob has no input to the security on your truck. 2 questions. First, is the check engine light on for the key on bulb test, and second, can you hear the fuel pump in the same key on test?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
no lights on
Ok. The check engine light should come on when you first turn the key on and go out when the engine is started. If that light is not on, your computer (PCM) is not getting ignition power. I would suspect your ignition switch is faulty. If you have a test light, go under the dash, just to the left and behind the knee bolster, and find the large connector. Test for power on the thick pink wire with the key on. If there is not power, I would replace the ignition switch.