Dan, Auto Technician
Experience:  GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified
4976144

GM: the trans was cracked but not aware of the TSB but there..p0700

Customer Question

Dealer said the retaining ring in the trans was cracked but not aware of the TSB but there seems to be the GM doc. Any ideas? I had a p0700 and p2723 code.

Ted
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

#07-07-30-006: Information on Control Solenoid Valve and Transmisison Control Solenoid Module Assembly Cleaning Procedure for Various Six-Speed HYDRA-MATIC Automatic Transmissions when MIL/DTCs Set - (Mar 27, 2007)

Subject:Information on Control Solenoid Valve and Transmission Control Solenoid Module Assembly Cleaning Procedure for Various Six-Speed HYDRA-MATIC® Automatic Transmissions when MIL/DTCs Set

Models:2008 Buick Enclave
2006-2007 Cadillac STS-V, XLR-V
2007 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT, SRX, STS, XLR
2006-2007 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
2007 GMC Acadia, Sierra, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL Denali
2007 Pontiac G6
2007 Saturn AURA, OUTLOOK
with Six Speed HYDRA-MATIC® 6L50, 6L80, 6L90, 6T70 or 6T75 Automatic Transmission (RPOs MYB, MYC, MYD, MH2, MH6, MY9)

SI diagnostics for many of the performance DTCs that can be set by these transmissions direct that control solenoid valve and transmission control solenoid module assembly cleaning should be performed as part of circuit/system testing.

Perform Bulletin Cleaning Procedure For The Following DTCs

Perform the Control Solenoid Valve and Transmission Control Module Assembly Cleaning in an attempt to clean or free up a potential sticking valve of dirt or debris for the following DTCs :

DTC P0741: Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) - Stuck Off
DTC P0742: Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) - Stuck On
DTC P0751: Shift Solenoid (SS) 1 Valve Performance - Stuck Off
DTC P0752: Shift Solenoid (SS) 1 Valve Performance - Stuck On
DTC P0756: Shift Solenoid (SS) 2 Valve Performance - Stuck Off
DTC P0776: Clutch Pressure Control (PC) Solenoid 2 - Stuck Off
DTC P0777: Clutch Pressure Control (PC) Solenoid 2 - Stuck On
DTC P0796: Clutch Pressure Control (PC) Solenoid 3 - Stuck Off
DTC P0797: Clutch Pressure Control (PC) Solenoid 3 - Stuck On
DTC P2714: Clutch Pressure Control (PC) Solenoid 4 - Stuck Off
DTC P2715: Clutch Pressure Control (PC) Solenoid 4 - Stuck On
DTC P2723: Clutch Pressure Control (PC) Solenoid 5 - Stuck Off
DTC P2724: Clutch Pressure Control (PC) Solenoid 5 - Stuck On

Control Solenoid Valve and Transmission Control Solenoid Module Assembly Cleaning

The control solenoid (w/body and TCM) valve assembly cleaning procedure is a specific software based routine, which resides in the TCM. This procedure is activated by the scan tool and is used to cycle the solenoids and valves in the control solenoid valve assembly in an attempt to dislodge debris and free up the valves after a performance diagnostic trouble code (DTC) has set. When the cleaning procedure is completed, the DTC enable criteria should be run again to see if the DTC concern has been corrected.

1. Operate the transmission to achieve 70°- 90°C (158° - 194°F).
  2. With a scan tool, select the Service Cleaning Procedure. Initiate the cleaning procedure.
  3. When the cleaning procedure is completed, shut OFF the ignition for 30 seconds.
  4. Restart the engine and operate the vehicle based on the criteria specified in Conditions for Running the DTC.
  5. Observe if the applicable DTC(s) has run and passed to verify if the cleaning procedure was effective.

Warranty Information

Important:

This labor operation should be used only in instances where the cleaning procedure is performed and no further repairs are necessary to correct the concern.
When submitting K9450, a full detail comment describing the DTC or condition being addressed by the cleaning procedure is required in the Comment portion of the claim for U.S. dealers or documented on the repair order for Canadian dealers. Claims that do not include an appropriate comment will be subject to audit and subsequent debit..
This labor operation may NOT be used in conjunction with another labor operation for the same customer concern.

#PIP4302: DTC P0751 P0756 P0776 P0P96 P2714 P2723 Harsh TCC Engagement - keywords chuggle code converter shudder TCC - (Dec 20, 2007)

Subject:DTC P0751, P0756, P0776, P0796, P2714, P2723, Harsh TCC Engagement

Models:2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT, STS-V, XLR
2006-2008 Chevrolet Corvette
2007-2008 GMC Sierra Denali, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL
Equipped With 6L80 (RPO MYC) Automatic Transmission

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment on a transmission concern where the MIL is illuminated and any of the above listed DTCs may be found in the TCM as active or history codes. They may also comment on harsh TCC engagement and debris may be found in the transmission oil pan.

Recommendation/Instructions:

If diagnosis leads to transmission removal inspect the torque converter face for signs of a high temperature witness mark as shown in the photo below. This witness mark will continue 360 degrees around the face of the converter and be blue / black in color.

If this condition is found please contact TAC at the number you have been provided. Do not disassemble the transmission beyond removal of the oil pan.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

#PIP4377: DTC P0722 or P0756 Seat As Well As DTC P2723 - keywords body oss sensor shift slip speed valve - (Mar 28, 2008)

Subject:DTC P0722 or P0756 Set As Well As DTC P2723

Models:2006 Cadillac STS-V, XLR
2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT, SRX, STS, XLR
2008 Cadillac CTS
2006-2008 Chevrolet Corvette
2007-2008 Chevrolet Silverado
2008 Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban
2008 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL
2008 Hummer H2
Equipped With 6L50, 6L80, 6L90 (RPO MYB, MYC, MYD) Automatic Transmission

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment on a transmission concern where the MIL is illuminated and DTC P0722 or P0756 along With DTC P2723 may be found in the TCM as active or history codes.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Condition 1: DTC P0722 is set along with DTC P2723. Under certain driving conditions it is possible for DTC P2723 to set as a result of an output speed sensor (oss) fault. Follow SI diagnostics for DTC P0722 first and repair any oss related concerns prior to addressing DTC P2723.

Condition 2: DTC P0756 set along with P2723. Under certain driving conditions it is possible for DTC P2723 to set as a result of the mode 3 valve being stuck off. Follow SI diagnostics for DTC P0756 first prior to addressing DTC P2723.

#PIP4184B: MIL And Any Combinationof DTC P0756 P0776 P0796 P2714 P2723 - keywords intermittent ses - (Dec 20, 2007)

Subject:MIL And Any Combination of DTC P0756, P0776, P0796, P2714, P2723

Models:2006-2008 Cadillac XLR-V, STS-V
2008 Cadillac CTS
2006-2008 Chevrolet Corvette
2007-2008 Chevrolet Silverado
2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL
2008 Hummer H2
Equipped With 6L50, 6L80 or 6L90 (RPOs MYB, MYC, MYD) Automatic Transmission

This PI Supersedes To Add Models. Please Discard PIP4184A.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment on a transmission concern where the MIL is illuminated and any of the above listed DTCs may be found in the TCM as active or history codes.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Perform the following service procedures:

1. Record Freeze Frame / Failure Data for all DTCs. This can be done electronically with the Tech 2 by capturing the data or by manually writing down the parameters. This data may be requested by TAC if further assistance is needed.
  2. Check and note the transmission fluid level and condition. If the level is high or low it should be corrected and the vehicle road tested to verify that the condition is still present.
  3. Remove the transmission bottom pan to inspect for possible debris. If debris is found the transmission should be disassembled to determine the source. Repair or replace the transmission in the most economical method following guidelines in the latest version of bulletin 02-07-30-029.
  4. If no debris is noted in the oil pan remove the valve body / control solenoid and module assembly. Disassemble the valve body to: XXXXX XXXXX check balls for roundness ensuring that there are no flat spots. Inspect the spacer plate for debris, burrs or flashing on the orifices. Measure all the valve body bore plug (328) diameters. Specification = 11.502 mm +/- 0.004 mm. Undersize bore plugs should be replaced. Inspect all valves for freedom of movement and correct travel.
  5. Based on the specific DTC carefully inspect the following valves for freedom of movement and correct travel.

P0756 - Clutch select valve 3 (352) (closer to the manual valve) in the lower valve body (307).

P0776 - 3-5-R clutch regulator valve (336) in the upper valve body (321).

P0796 - CBR1/4-5-6 clutch regulator valve (327) in the upper valve body (321).

P2714 - 2-6 clutch regulator valve (334) in the upper valve body (321).

P2723 - 1-2-3-4 clutch regulator valve (337) in the upper valve body (321).`

If a concern is found in the respective valve line-up remove the valve from the valve body.
    Once valve is removed inspect for any scratching or scoring.
    If any is found then the fingernail test will need to be performed.
    Using your fingernail to move over scratches to see if nail will try to catch on the scratch or score.
    If so then valve body will need to be replaced.
    It has been found that in most cases that the scratches are not severe enough to catch your fingernail.
    In this case the valve should be cleaned with some type of contact or brake cleaner.
    The bore should also be cleaned. Clean with machined side down so debris may escape.
    Blow off with shop air.
    To verify free movement of the valve, dip into clean ATF and install valve back into the bore, the valve should move freely. If the valve moves freely, in most cases the valve body will function properly when reinstalled.
    Reassemble and retest.
  6. If no issues are noted in the valve body inspection replace the control solenoid and module assembly (314). If the concern was a DTC P2723 the input / output speed sensor assembly (303) should also be replaced.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I don't think this addresses the retaining ring problem. If I missed something please let me know.

Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

I am sorry but I cannot find anything close to those trouble codes or doc ID number (when that doc ID number is XXXXX in it says either discontinued or not valid).

Enter a Bulletin/Campaign Number: Enter a Document ID:

You have entered an invalid document ID or the requested document has been removed from the system.
Please enter a valid document ID.