GM Expert
GM Expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified and over 25 years Experience in the Automotive Field

I am looking for the purge valve on a 1996 cadillac eldorado

Customer Question

I am looking for the purge valve on a 1996 cadillac eldorado northstar engine for the cooling system to bleed out the air after working on it. Where is the bleeder valve and is there one
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Expert replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thanks for using JA,

Here is the procedure to bleed the system and good luck and let me know if you need any further assistance. If this helps please click on accept.

Thanks msgtperrin

Filling Procedure

Object Number: 13759  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  1. Close the radiator drain cock. Install the engine block drain plugs if these were removed.

Notice: Pure coolant can be added to raise the boiling point of the coolant, but too much will affect the freezing point. Do not use a solution stronger than 70 percent, as the freeze level rises rapidly after this point. Pure coolant will freeze at -22°C (-8°F).

2. Refill the cooling system.
  3. Set the heater temperature to 32°C (90°F).
  4. Allow the engine to continue idling until the radiator outlet hose becomes hot.
  5. Cycle the engine speed up to 3000 RPM and back to idle 5 times.
    Object Number: 71133  Size: SH
  6. Install the surge tank pressure cap. Align the arrows on the cap with the overflow hose.
    Object Number: 71136  Size: SH
  7. Allow the engine to cool to the outside temperature. Then, check the level of the coolant in the surge tank. The coolant level should be at or above the surge tank landing (bottom) (1) in the inboard cavity (2) below the filler neck.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That didn't tell me a thing about bleeding the air from the system. How do I bleed the air from the system
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have been told that there is a bleeder valve on the block somewhere. Is that true ?
Expert:  GM Expert replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

As far as gm's document there is not bleeder valve. To bleed the system all you have to do is ensure all your hoses are connected and then top off your coolant bottle. Turn the engine on and turn on your heater. Put it on the floor mode and blower on med. Let the engine run until the thermostat opens and watch your coolant level. Keep the coolant level at the right spot and after about ten minutes shut the vehicle off and let it cool down and recheck your coolant level. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks msgtperrin

GM Expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified and over 25 years Experience in the Automotive Field
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

After following your instructions on how to bleed out the air from my cooling system and replacing the thermostat, and checking for exhaust gases, which there are none, can you help me understand why when I drive the car for just a couple of miles it is still running almost into the red and the water is gurgling back into the surge tank. I am just about ready to burn this thing it is driving me crazy

Jim

Expert:  GM Expert replied 5 years ago.

Hi Jim,

This is what I would try. It sounds like one of two things is wrong. First you have air in the system. Second you have a flow problem. Let the vehicle cool completely off and then add coolant and put it to the proper level. Start the vehicle and let it warm up to normal operating temp. At this point ensure the thermostat opens and both upper and lower radaitor hoses are hot. Put the heater on hot in the car to allow the heater core to properly cycle to get the air out of it. Listen for abnormal noises in the coolant system. If it is backing into the bottle after you have it at normal operating temp, then we have a flow problem. Could be the radiator or the water pump. Let me know if you have replaced any of these and what you find.

Thanks msgtperrin