Greg A
Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Experience:  Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years
5229702

What will cause an a/c compresser clutch to stay engaged

I have a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer with a 6 cyl. When the a/c is turned off or the car is turned off, the clutch does not disengage. If the car is running the noise is not as noticable due to the engine noise, but when the car is turned off, the compressor makes a loud noise as the internal part of the clutch and compressor continue to turn momentarily.

Hello and welcome back to Just Answer.

It sounds like the relay that control the AC compressor clutch may be stuck in the ON position. Here it is on the schematic.

graphic

Notice that it is in the underhood fuse block. I will see if I can get you a drawing of its exact location, but you should have a label inside the fuse block cover.

I would suggest that you remove the relay, as a simple test, to see if the clutch coil or wiring going to the compressor clutch might be shorted to power, or actually "stuck" in the ON position. If the clutch still gives you problems when that relay is remove, then you may end up having to replace the clutch for the compressor.

Please let me know what you find.

Take Care, Greg A.

Here is the diagram of the fuse block I said I would send, with the AC compressor relay highlighted in Red.

graphic

Please let me know what you find.

Take Care, Greg A.

Thanks for the accept & please let me know if you need more questions.

Take Care, Greg A.