John, Master A.S.E Automotive technician
Experience:  A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician
6408229

how to install break pads on 98 lumina

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Chevy
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

This should help you.

Front Disc Brake Pads Replacement

GM replacement brake or equivalent lining material is recommended for all GM vehicles in order to maintain the balance between front and rear brake performance. GM replacement brake parts have been carefully selected in order to provide the proper brake balance for purposes of both stopping distance and control over the full range of operation conditions. Installation of front or rear brake pad material with performance different than that of the GM replacement parts recommended for this vehicle can change the intended brake balance of this vehicle.

1. Remove two-thirds of the brake fluid from the master cylinder.
  2. Raise the vehicle and suitably support.Remove the tire and the wheel. Object Number: 177027  Size: SH

3. Push pistons onto the caliper bores in order to provide clearance between the pads and the rotor.
    5.1. Install a large C-clamp (2) over the top of the caliper housing (1) and against the back of the outboard pad.
    5.2. Slowly tighten the C-clamp until the pistons push into the caliper bores enough to slide the caliper off the rotor.

Object Number: 180234  Size: SH

4. Remove the outboard brake pad (1).

Use a screwdriver to lift up the outboard pad retaining spring (2) so that it will clear the caliper center lug (3).

Object Number: 177016  Size: SH

5. Unsnap the pad springs from the piston ID's.
  6. Remove the inboard bake pad (7).
    Object Number: 180466  Size: MH

7. Inspect the following parts for cuts, tears, or deterioration. Replace any damaged parts.
    The pin boots (5).ul
    The piston boots (10).
    The rubber bushings in the caliper mounting bracket (6).
  8. Inspect the slide pin bolts (1) for corrosion or damage. If corrosion is found, use new parts, including bushings, when installing the caliper. Do not attempt to polish away corrosion.

Important: Lift the inner edge of the caliper boots next to the pistons. Press out any trapped air. The boots must lay flat below the level of the piston faces.

Object Number: 177028  Size: SH

1. If installing new brake pads, bottom the pistons into the caliper bore. Use a C-clamp and a metal plate or wooden block in order to clamp both of the pistons at the same time. Do not damage the pistons or the caliper boots.
    Object Number: 180466  Size: MH

2. Install the inboard brake pad (9) by snapping the pad retainer springs into the piston ID's. The pad retainer springs are already staked to the inboard pad.
    Verify that both tangs of the retainer springs are installed inside the piston ID.
    The pad must lay flat against the pistons.
    After installing the brake pads, verify that the caliper boots are not touching the pads. If there is contact, remove the brake pads and re-seat or re-position the boots.

Object Number: 180234  Size: SH

3. Install the outboard brake pads (1) by snapping the outboard pad retaining springs (2) over the caliper center lug (3) and into the housing slot.
    The wear sensor should be at the trailing edge of the pad during forward wheel rotation.
    The back of the pad must lay flat against the caliper.

4. Install the caliper (3) over the rotor (1) and the caliper mounting bracket (2).
    Object Number: 176939  Size: SH

5. Verify that the bushings (2) are in place.
    Object Number: 177029  Size: SH

6. Lubricate the caliper slide pin bolts (1) using silicone grease.

Do not lubricate the threads.

7. Lubricate the two rubber bushings in the caliper mounting bracket using silicon grease.
    Object Number: 177025  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

8. Install the caliper slide pin bolts (1).

Using a screwdriver, push the pin boot over the shoulder of the pin bolt. The pin boot must be securely in the grove of the pin bolt.

Tighten
    Tighten the slide pin bolts to 108 N·m (80 lb ft).

Object Number: 180228  Size: SH

9. Remove the wheel nuts securing the rotor to the hub.
  10. Install the tires and the wheels.
  11. Lower the vehicle.
  12. Fill the master cylinder to the proper level with clean brake fluid. Apply approximately 778 N (175 lb) of force three times to the brake pedal to seat the pads.
  13. Burnish the pads and the rotors.