GM Master Tech 01
GM Master Tech 01, GM Master Technician
Experience:  GM certified master technician 10 years experience
11330529

2004 chevy tahoe has check tire pressure light ...

2004 chevy tahoe has "check tire pressure" light that will not go off. have checked all tires including spare. is there some kind of code to fix or fuse? thanks
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Master Tech 01 replied 6 years ago.
You will need to relearn the system,

Tire Pressure Sensor Learn

Learn Mode Description
The tire pressure monitor (TPM) system uses the passenger door module (PDM) , body control module (BCM) , exterior lamp switch, 4 radio frequency (RF) transmitting pressure sensors, and the serial data circuit to perform the sensor learn mode functions. The sensor learn procedure must be performed any time the PDM is replaced, a sensor is replaced, or after the vehicles tires have been rotated. Once the learn mode has been enabled each of the sensors unique identification codes can be learned into the PDMs memory. When a sensor's Id code has been learned, the PDM sends a serial data message to the BCM to sound a horn chirp. This verifies the sensor has transmitted it's Id code and the PDM has received it. As soon as the fist sensor Id code is learned, all other Ids are erased from the PDMs memory.

Sensor Functions
Each sensor takes a pressure measurement sample once every 20 seconds while in stationary mode. If the tire pressure increases, or decreases by more than 11 kPa (1.6 psi) from the last pressure measurement, another measurement will occur immediately to verify the change in pressure. If a pressure change has indeed occurred, the sensor sends a re-measure transmission to the PDM. When the PDM receives a re-measure transmission while in sensor learn mode, it will assign that sensor Id to that location on the vehicle.

Sensor Location
The PDM must learn the sensors Id codes in the proper sequence in order to determine sensor location.

Learn Mode Cancellation
The TPM system will cancel the learn mode if more then 2 minutes have passed and no sensors have been learned, or if the system has been in learn mode for more than 5 minutes. If the learn mode is canceled before any sensor has been learned, the PDM will remember all current sensor Ids and their locations.

Important: Before proceeding with the steps below, ensure that no other sensor learn procedure is being performed simultaneously, or that tire pressures are not being adjusted on a TPM equipped vehicle within close proximity.

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Apply the parking brake. Important: If the learn mode cannot be enabled, ensure the TPM system is enabled in the PDM.
  3. Turn the exterior lamp switch from OFF to parking lamps 4 times within 4 seconds. A horn chirp will sound and the low tire pressure indicator will begin to flash indicating the learn mode has been enabled. Caution: Over inflating tires may cause personal injury or damage to the tires and wheels. When increasing tire pressure do not exceed the maximum inflation pressure as noted on the tire sidewall. Important: If a horn chirp does not sound after 35 seconds for any of the 4 sensors, turn the ignition OFF to exit the learn mode and repeat the procedure from step 1.
  4. Starting with the left front tire, increase or decrease the pressure for 8-10 seconds, or until a horn chirp sounds. The horn chirp may occur before the 8-10 second pressure increase/decrease time period has been reached, or up to 30 seconds after the 8-10 second pressure increase/decrease time period has been reached.
  5. After the horn chirp has sounded, proceed as in step 4 for the next 3 sensors in the following order:
5.1.Right front
5.2.Right rear
5.3.Left rear
  1. After all sensors have been learned, exit the learn mode by turning OFF the ignition.
  2. After the learn mode has been exited, adjust all tire pressures to the recommended kPa/psi.

GM Master Tech 01, GM Master Technician
Experience: GM certified master technician 10 years experience