Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

how do i replace the clutch on my 98 cavalier

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.

You have to remove the transmission to get to the clutch. Here are transmission removal instructions:

Caution: Unless directed otherwise, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position, and all electrical loads must be OFF before servicing any electrical component. Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent an electrical spark should a tool or equipment come in contact with an exposed electrical terminal. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

• Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  • Install the J 28467-360 .
  • Support the transaxle with a safety stand.

Raise the vehicle enough to take pressure off of the transaxle mounts.

• Remove the left sound insulator. Refer to Instrument Panel Insulator Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.
  • Remove the clutch master cylinder pushrod from the clutch pedal.
  • Remove the air cleaner and duct assembly from the throttle body.
  • Remove the wire harness from the upper transaxle mount bracket.
  • Remove the upper transaxle mount to transaxle bolts.
  • Remove the upper transaxle mount.
  • Remove the clutch master cylinder from the clutch actuator cylinder. Refer to Clutch Master Cylinder Replacement in Clutch.
  • Remove the ground cables from the transaxle mounting studs.
    Object Number: 12405  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above imageidth=
  • Disconnect the backup light switch connector.
  • Remove the transaxle vent tube.
  • Remove the rear transaxle mount bolts.
  • Remove the rear transaxle mount.
  • Lower the safety stand in order to ease transaxle removal and installation.
  • Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
  • Support the vehicle with a safety stand.
  • Drain the transaxle.
  • Remove the front tire and wheel assemblies. Refer to Wheel Removal in Tires and Wheels.
  • Remove the left front inner splash shield.
  • Remove the front ABS WSS connectors.
  • Unroute the left side harness.
    Object Number: 510441  Size: SH
  • Remove the flywheel housing cover.
  • Remove the vehicle speed sensor. Refer to Vehicle Speed Sensor .
    Object Number: 12409  Size: SH
  • Remove the left and right ball joint nuts. Refer to Lower Control Arm Ball Joint Replacement in Front Suspension.
  • Separate the nuts.
  • Remove the left stabilizer link pin. Refer to Stabilizer Shaft Link Replacement in Front Suspension.
  • Remove the left U-bolt from the stabilizer bar.
  • Remove the left suspension support attaching bolts. Refer to Front Suspension Support Brace Replacement in Front Suspension.
  • Remove the drive axles. Refer to Wheel Drive Shaft Replacement in Wheel Drive Shafts.
  • Remove the front lower transaxle mount bolts.
  • Remove the front lower transaxle mount.
  • Attach the transaxle case to the support stand.
  • Remove the transaxle-to-engine mount bolts.
  • Remove the transaxle:
    36.1. Slide the transaxle away from the engine.
    36.2. Carefully lower the support stand.