chevman101
chevman101, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  8 Years GM exp. 2000 and newer expert

I have a 1997 Silverado 2WD with 5-lug wheels..rotors

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Silverado 2WD with 5-lug wheels. I am wanting to put 6-lug wheels on it. I have purchased the light duty 2500 6-lug rotors for the front and I have had a spare set of axles redrilled for 6-lugs. What I want to know is what oem 6-lug wheel with the same hub bore and backspacing as my 5-lug wheels will fit my truck. I have 6-lug brake drums off a 1994 Yukon that fit the axles so that will not be a problem. Thanks, Jimmy
Category: Chevy
Expert:  chevman101 replied 5 years ago.

Any six lug original equipment will fit your truck from 1988 to 2008. the six lug from 1988 to 1999 was intended for a 4wd and 5 lug for 2wd. Back spacing will be the same for 2 andXXXXXChevy trucks ( Silverados, Tahoes, and Sububans). If you have not picked out a set of wheels, you can check with your local Chevy dealer for a good deal on brand new take-offs.

You can install up to 20 inch wheels, but the 16 & 17 inch wheel wheels will give you the best ride, and try to stay with a factory size tire to keep the tires from rubbing, i.e. 265/75 R16 as an example, 285s will more than likely rub with out modifying the hieght of the truck or cutting the bumper. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I know the wheels you speak of will fit but the backspacing is different and I do not want the newer wheels sticking inward another 1.5 inches. I do know that there is positive and negative offeset. My wheels have 4.5 inches and the newer wheels have 3 inches. What I am looking for is a OEM 6-lug wheel with the same hub bore and backspacing as mine.

I think it will be a matter of preference. The older trucks will accept either wheel and the new trucks(2007-2008 new body style) will only take the newer wheels, because of the Wheel opening dimensions. My transmission tech put factory 2006 17" wheels and tires on his 1992 K1500 with no modification and looks good. If you want to stay the same as your vehicle you can put on wheel from 1988-1998 and 1999 classic.

Either wheel will go on without modification. Just like after market wheels with different offset, its just a matter if what you like.

Hope this helps,

Bandon

If my answer was helpful to you, please click the ACCEPT button. I do my best for every customer, positive feedback is greatly appreciated!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is not the answer I was really looking for but I will pay you anyway.

I'm sorry i don't know what your looking for, your original question was what fits. I not sure if you want it to do something special. the wheel I recommended will fit.

You said you accepted the previous answer and you did not.

I can only answer what is asked, no more.

If you are looking for what will precisely fit your new configuration, then get 2 wheels from a 2500 light duty and 2 wheels from a 1994 Tahoe.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The backspacing is different between 1997 and later models I know that so you did not help me very much.