Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

chevy impala ls: dash panel come..ign..snapped on..im thinking

i have a chevy impala ls with no start cond.   how does the dash    panel come off to change the ign switch and lock cylinder in the dash. is it just snapped on . also how does lock cylinder come out of ing switch its a 2000 ,passlock problem im thinking
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.

Here is the procedure for dash panel removal

Removal Procedure

1. Apply the parking brake.
    Object Number: 658401  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above imageidth=
  2. Using a small flat-bladed tool, remove the bezel from the ignition switch cylinder.
    Object Number: 678301  Size: SH
  3. If the vehicle is equipped with a column shift, position the transaxle shift control indicator to 1. Keep the key in the ignition switch cylinder.
  4. Adjust the steering wheel for access.
    Object Number: 519536  Size: SH
  5. Remove the access covers from the right and the left instrument panel (IP) fuse block, as required.
    Object Number: 578987  Size: SH
  6. Remove the screws from the IP cluster trim plate.
  7. Starting at the right end of the IP cluster, grasp the trim plate and pull rearward.
  8. Continue working around the IP cluster trim plate until all of the retainers are released from the IP trim pad.
  9. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the hazard switch and from the traction control switch, if equipped.
  10. Remove the IP cluster trim plate.

Here is the procedure to replace ignition cylinder

• Disconnect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection in Engine Electrical.
  • Remove the instrument panel (I/P) cluster trim plate. Refer to Instrument Panel Cluster Trim Plate Bezel Replacement .
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  • Insert the key and turn the ignition lock cylinder to the ON/RUN position.
  • Using a small curved tool or an L-shaped hex wrench, depress and hold the detent on the ignition lock cylinder. Access the detent by placing the tool through the I/P opening to the right of the ignition switch. If you cannot locate the detent with the tool, lower the ignition switch away from the I/P. Refer to Ignition and Start Switch Replacement .
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  • Using the key as an aid, pull to remove the lock cylinder from the switch.
  • Remove the key from the lock cylinder.
  • If the cylinder does not rotate or is seized, follow the procedure in the ignition switch replacement. Refer to Ignition and Start Switch Replacement .
  • Installation Procedure

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
    1. Code the ignition lock cylinder, if necessary. Refer to Key and Lock Cylinder Coding in General Information.
    2. Insert the key and turn the lock cylinder to the ON/RUN position.
    3. Position the lock cylinder to the ignition switch. Press the cylinder into place. If you turned the key slightly while removing the lock cylinder, you may have to align the white colored ignition switch rotor (1) with the lock cylinder (2). You can rotate the ignition switch rotor (1) with your finger.
    4. Turn the key to the OFF position and remove the key.
    5. Install the I/P cluster trim plate. Refer to Instrument Panel Cluster Trim Plate Bezel Replacement .
    6. Connect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection in Engine Electrical.
    7. If you installed a new lock cylinder, perform the BCM theft deterrent relearn procedure.
    Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
    Experience: ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    i try and click on your highlighted lines where it says refer to its says i donot have permission to access this gm site
    Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.
    Tell me which links you want to see and I will get them for you.
    Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    there are   INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER AND TRIM PLATE BELZEL     KEY AND LOCK CYLINDER DECODING AND IGNITION AND START SWITCH REPLACMENT   THANK YOU VERY MUCH
    Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.

The instrument panel cluster trim plate bezel replacement was the first part of my answer to you . Here is the key and lock cylinder coding

A single key is used for all of the locks on the vehicle. The key identification is obtained from the four-character key code located on the key tag. The four character key code should be recorded by the owner and the dealer. The mechanical key code can be determined through the use of a code cross-reference list which is available to owners of key cutting equipment from the equipment suppliers.

Cutting Keys

Object Number: 65495  Size: SH

After the mechanical key code has been determined from the code list , perform the following steps:

1. Cut a blank key to the proper level (1) of each of the tumbler positions (2).
    2. Remove any rough edges from the key using a wire brush or wire wheel.
    3. Inspect the key operation in the lock cylinder.

Replacement Lock Cylinders

The lock cylinder keyway is designed so that other model keys will not enter a current model lock cylinder. New lock cylinders are available from the service parts warehouses without tumblers and springs. The tumblers and springs are also available and must be assembled into the lock cylinder according to the mechanical key code.

Lock Cylinder Tumbler Operation

All lock tumblers are shaped alike with the exception of the notched position on one side. As the key is inserted into the lock cylinder, the tumblers are lowered to the correct height so that notches on each tumbler are at the same level. When the notches on all six tumblers line up, two small springs push the side bar into the notches, allowing the cylinder to turn in the cylinder bore. Five types of tumblers are used in making the lock combinations. Each tumbler is coded and stamped with a number between 1 and 5.

Ignition Lock Cylinder Coding

Tools Required

J 41340 Lock Cylinder Staking and Holding Fixture

Important: If the original ignition lock cylinder is being RECODED, proceed to step 1. If the ignition lock cylinder is being REPLACED with a new ignition lock cylinder, proceed to step 2.

1. Remove the ignition lock cylinder core from the ignition lock cylinder housing.
      1.1. Insert the key into the ignition lock cylinder.
      1.2. Rotate the lock cylinder core to START.
      1.3. Press the lock cylinder core retainer located in the end of the ignition lock cylinder.
      1.4. Pull the ignition lock cylinder core out of the lock cylinder housing using the key.
    2. Pry the tumbler spring retainer out of the ignition lock cylinder core using a small flat-bladed tool.
    3. Remove all of the tumbler springs.

Important: Be careful to observe and record each tumbler and it's relative position in the lock cylinder core as the tumblers are removed.

4. Remove all of the tumblers by rotating the lock cylinder so that the tumbler slots are facing down.
    5. Hold the lock cylinder core close to a flat surface.
    6. Pull the lock cylinder core side bar out with your fingers. It may be necessary to tap the lock cylinder on a hard surface to remove all of the tumblers.
      Object Number: 65496  Size: SH
    7. Determine the tumbler numbers and their respective positions.
      7.1. Place the tip of the key directly over the tip of the illustrated key.
      7.2. Inspect that the diagram outlines the key.
      7.3. Starting with position 1 (the open end of the lock cylinder), find and record the lowest level (tumbler number) that is visible.
      7.4. Repeat the previous step for positions 2-10.

Object Number: 65498  Size: SH
    8. Starting with position 1, insert the tumblers (4) into their corresponding slots in the coded order.
    9. Using your fingers, pull out the side bar (3) until the tumblers fall completely into the lock cylinder core.
    10. Insert one tumbler spring (2) above each tumbler (4).
    11. Lubricate the tumblers using Superlube® GM P/N 12346241 or equivalent.
    12. Insert the spring retainer (1) prongs into their respective slots in the lock cylinder core.
      Object Number: 65499  Size: SH
    13. Press the retainer (1) down until the retainer is fully seated in the lock cylinder core.
      Object Number: 65501  Size: SH
    14. Inspect for proper tumbler installation:
      14.1. Hold the spring retainer (2) in position.
      14.2. Insert the key (1) into the lock cylinder. The side bar (3) should drop down to the level of the lock cylinder core. If the side bar does NOT drop down to the level of the lock cylinder core, proceed to step 2.
    15. Remove the key from the lock cylinder core.
      Object Number: 65502  Size: SH
    16. Secure the lock cylinder in the J 41340 .
      16.1. Inspect that the spring retainer is facing up and positioned directly under the punch slots.
      16.2. Insert the lock cylinder completely into the J 41340 until the lock cylinder bezel contacts the J 41340 .
      16.3. Tighten the J 41340 holding screw.

Object Number: 65503  Size: SH
    17. Stake the bezel end of the spring retainer:
      17.1. Hold the flat side of the punch, part of J 41340 squarely against the face of the lock cylinder bezel.
      17.2. Stake the lock cylinder metal over the spring retainer prong.

Object Number: 65504  Size: SH
    18. Stake the opposite end of the spring retainer:
      18.1. Remove the J 41340 punch.
      18.2. Rotate the J 41340 punch 180 degrees.
      18.3. Hold the J 41340 punch squarely against the end of the punch slot on J 41340 .
      18.4. Stake the lock cylinder metal over the spring retainer prong.

Object Number: 65505  Size: SH
    19. Loosen the J 41340 holding screw.
    20. Remove the lock cylinder from the J 41340 .
    21. Inspect that the spring retainer is properly staked. Repeat staking as needed.
    22. Lubricate the lock cylinder core retainer slot.
    23. Insert the following parts into the lock cylinder core retainer slot:
      The lock cylinder retainer spring (2)
      The lock cylinder retainer (3)

Important: Use a paste type grease, not a spray, for the following step.

24. Lubricate the following parts with GM P/N 12345996 or equivalent:
      The lock cylinder housing detent pins (1)
      The lock cylinder retainer (3)
    25. Orientate the lock cylinder retainer to the tapered notch in the lock cylinder housing.
    26. Insert the ignition lock cylinder into the ignition lock cylinder housing.
    27. Inspect for proper ignition lock cylinder rotation using the key

Here is the ignition switch replacement

Ignition and Start Switch Replacement

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 519619  Size: SH
    1. Disconnect the battery ground cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection in Engine Electrical.
    2. Remove the steering column filler panel. Refer to Steering Column Opening Filler Replacement .
    3. Remove the knee bolster bracket. Refer to Knee Bolster Bracket Replacement .
    4. Remove the instrument panel (I/P) cluster trim panel. Refer to Instrument Panel Cluster Trim Plate Bezel Replacement .
    5. Remove the ignition switch bolts.
    6. Lower the ignition switch away from the instrument carrier.
    7. Insert the key into the ignition lock cylinder. Turn the key to the ON/RUN position.
    8. Depress the transaxle park/lock cable retainer to release. Pull to remove the park/lock cable from the ignition switch.

Important: The PasslockTM electrical connector cannot be removed until the lock cylinder is removed.

9. Depress and hold the detent on the bottom of the ignition switch in order to release the ignition lock cylinder. Remove the ignition lock cylinder with the key.
      Object Number: 519487  Size: SH
    10. Disconnect the PasslockTM electrical connector.
    11. Disconnect the electrical connectors.
      Object Number: 762724  Size: SH

Important: Ignition switch lock cylinder that won't rotate or is seized.

12. Perform the following procedure if the ignition switch lock cylinder is seized or won't rotate.
      12.1. Protect the immediate work area with suitable material such as clean shop towels or a clean fender cover.
      12.2. Locate the surface for the ignition switch lock cylinder release button (2) on the plastic ignition switch housing and center punch a location (1) on the "rib" approximately 3/8 inch reward (toward the key entry end) from the cylinder release button.
      12.3. Carefully drill a pilot hole through the plastic housing with a 1/8 inch drill bit.
      12.4. Carefully drill a larger hole at the pilot location, and slightly into the ignition switch lock cylinder surface to break the release button retaining spring using a 9/32 inch drill bit.
      12.5. Remove portions of the broken spring from the hole using a small suitable tool.
      12.6. Grasp the ignition switch lock cylinder and remove it from the switch housing.
      12.7. Remove any plastic "flash" from the drilling operation, and using compressed air blow out the ignition switch assembly.
      12.8. Follow service manual procedures when cylinder cording is required. Refer to Key and Lock Cylinder Coding in General Information.

Installation Procedure

1. If the lock cylinder would not rotate or was seized, perform the following procedure:
      1.1. Install the new ignition switch lock cylinder as required by rotating both the cylinder and the ignition switch to the ON position.
      1.2. Push the ignition switch lock cylinder into the ignition switch housing until fully seated.
      1.3. You may have to slightly depress the release button as the button passes by the 9/32-in hole previously drilled in the ignition switch housing.

Object Number: 519487  Size: SH
    2. Connect the electrical connectors.
    3. Connect the PasslockTM electrical connector.
    4. Connect the park/lock cable to the ignition switch.
      Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
    5. Turn the key to the ON/RUN position. Install the ignition lock cylinder into the ignition switch. If you turned the key slightly while removing the lock cylinder, you may have to align the white colored ignition switch rotor (1) with the lock cylinder (2). You can rotate the ignition switch rotor (1) with your finger.
    6. Remove the key.
      Object Number: 519619  Size: SH
    7. Position the ignition switch to the instrument carrier.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

8. Install the ignition switch bolts.

Tighten
      Tighten the bolts to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

9. Install the trim plate bezel to the I/P cluster. Refer to Instrument Panel Cluster Trim Plate Bezel Replacement .
    10. Install the knee bolster bracket. Refer to Knee Bolster Bracket Replacement .
    11. Install the steering column filler panel. Refer to Steering Column Opening Filler Replacement .
    12. Connect the battery ground cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection in Engine Electrical.