Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION
3903212

2007 silverado, i lost my ignition key, can I go to the ...

Customer Question

2007 silverado, i lost my ignition key, can I go to the dealership and have a key made and somehow avoid towing in the vehicle due to the chipped key?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jesse replied 8 years ago.
yes and if you will call 1-800 chev usa they will come out and get you a key now if you are still under warranty for free
Expert:  Jesse replied 8 years ago.
just make sure you have the vin number handy
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.

Hello, I would like to assist your current expert, so if you'd like to accept an answer, please be sure to accept his answer! Thank you!

You will need to program this key as it is a transponder key which I am sure you are aware of. Here is the procedure you will need to complete to make your truck operable.

This 30-minute learn procedure should be used when all vehicle keys are desired to be replaced or reprogrammed. This procedure will erase all previously learned vehicle keys from the TDM. Once the 30-minute learn procedure has been completed, any remaining vehicle keys may be programmed using the Adding Keys procedure to ensure their continued functionality.

1. With an unlearned master vehicle key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Observe the security indicator, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn off.
  3. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.

Important: The TDM learns the key transponder information upon the ignition switch transition from OFF to ON. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

5. With a master vehicle key, start the vehicle. The vehicle has now learned the key transponder information.