docckingg, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Master tech, Cadillac Master, ASE Master tech, 25 years EXP

2003 chevy s10: pickup..a clicking sound when turning the key..starter

my 2003 chevy s10 pickup won''t start. The battery is good (green eye), but i get a clicking sound when turning the key. I''m guessing maybe the starter. Is the a way to get the trouble code ? On my wife''s dodge, when I turn the key to run position 3 times, i get the trouble code on the dash. Anything like this for a 2003 s10 pickup?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  docckingg replied 8 years ago.
Sounds like a bad connection on the battery cables, One thing to remember is just because the eye on the battery is green does not mean the battery is still good. It should be checked with the proper diagnostic equipment. Clicking noise when starting a car is cause by low voltage or current to the starter. The click is the soleniod engaging and then disengaging because there is not enough voltage or current to keep it engaged. For your 2003 s10 you will need a scanner to read codes. Many auto parts stores will test your battery and scan for codes free if you dont have the tools to do so.