Scott K
Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor
Experience:  20 yrs Experience; GM factory Training ASE Master Certified with L1 advanced engine diagnostics
9480930

I have a 1999 chevy silverado. The drivers door hinge pins ...

I have a 1999 chevy silverado. The drivers door hinge pins are worn and the door is loose. I have new pins and bushings from LMC. How do I remove the door to get at the hinge pins and bushings to replace them?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  frank replied 6 years ago.
The trick is you dont remove the door-its welded on.You change the pins and bushings on the truck-There was 2 body styles in 99-which engine do you have?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to frank's Post: I have the 5.3L It's the new body style
Expert:  frank replied 6 years ago.

I opted out since I dont want to send you in the wrong direstion-you have the newer style higes and havent realy found any short cuts.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to frank's Post: I don't understand this site. Will someone else answer my question?
Expert:  frank replied 6 years ago.
Yes- some one with better infor-we try to make sure you get the best and most up to date infor here
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to frank's Post: OK Thanks
Expert:  frank replied 6 years ago.
Just dont want to give you the wrong info-some one should come agong shrtly and if not I'll double check on the instructions tomorrow for you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to frank's Post: OK
Expert:  Scott K replied 6 years ago.

Hello and Welcome to Just answer,

How long are the pins that came in the kit?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Scott K's Post: The kit came from LMC Truck. One pin is 1 13/16", the other is almost 2 inches. The instructions that came with the kit say, "remove the door then grind off the peened area on the bottom of the existing pins. Then drive them out from the bottom up". There is no access to the pins without removing the door.
Expert:  Scott K replied 6 years ago.

Sorry for the delay,

Removal Procedure

Disconnect the door wire harness

• Remove the hinge pillar trim panel.
  • Object Number: 373600  Size: SH
  • Object Number: 375036  Size: SH

• Disconnect the cross body wiring harness.
  • Remove the conduit.
  • Object Number: 348485  Size: SH

• Remove the door check link bolt from the pillar side.
  • Remove the bolts from the upper door hinge and the lower door hinge.
  • With an assistant, lift the door up from the hinge pins, and remove the door from the vehicle.
  • Hinge pin

• Remove the hinge pins from the hinge by grinding the bottom end of the pin off and driving out the remainder of the pin using a hammer and punch.
  • Remove the old bushings from the hinges.
  • Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  • Install the hinge pin bushings (1) into the hinges.
  • Install the shorter hinge pin (3) into the bottom hole in the hinge.
  • Install the washer supplied in the kit and a standard 5/16 inch x 18 nut onto the replacement hinge pin.
  • Tap the shorter hinge pin (3) into the hinge as far as it will go.
  • Tighten the 5/16 inch x 18 nut with a hand wrench, drawing the hinge pin into the hinge until the pin is fully seated.
  • Replace the standard 5/16 inch x 18 nut with the lock nut supplied in the kit and finger tighten.
  • Tighten the lock nuts.
  • Tighten
    Tighten the nuts to 19 N·m (14 lb ft).

• Install the longer hinge pin (2) into the top hole in the hinge.
  • Tap the longer hinge pin (2) into the hinge as far as it will go.
  • Tighten the lock nuts.

Tighten
    Tighten the nuts to 19 N·m (14 lb ft).

• Install the door.
  • Lubricate the hinge pins with Goodwrench® Super Lube or equivalent.
  • Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor
    Experience: 20 yrs Experience; GM factory Training ASE Master Certified with L1 advanced engine diagnostics