GM Expert
GM Expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified and over 25 years Experience in the Automotive Field
10932846

plastic..that connects the radiator hose to the heater core broke off

Customer Question

the plastic adapter that connects the radiator hose to the heater core broke off. how do i get it off and replace it.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Wrenchtech replied 6 years ago.
What's the year, make, model and engine size?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
99 chevy silverado with a 6.0 ltr v-8
Is this adapter coming right through the firewall?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no its attached to one of two metal tubes that stick through the firewall about 3 inches
I'm not familiar with what your describing.

I will open this up to the other experts.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the plastic adapter is connected to the heater core tubes that stick through the firewall. then they connect to the flexable tubes that run to the radiator.
Expert:  GM Expert replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thanks for using JA,

The plastic piece in the radiator hose and you have to use a tool that is the same as a fuel line disconnect and here is the procedures for this. Please let me know how it works.

thanks msgtperrin

1. Drain the engine coolant. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling in Engine Cooling.
    Object Number: 257108  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above imageidth=
  2. Disconnect the inlet hose (1) from the generator bracket.
  3. Disconnect the inlet hose at the fender clip.
  4. Loosen the hose clamp at the heater core enough to slide the clamp away from the fitting on the inlet hose.
  5. Remove the hose clamp at the heater core, the water shut off valve, or the tee fitting.
  6. Disconnect the inlet hose from the heater core.
    Object Number: 220038  Size: SH
  7. Push the inlet hose (5) into the connector (1).
  8. Insert the J 38723 into the connector in order to release the locking tabs (2).
  9. Pull the retainer (4) and the inlet hose from the heater inlet connector.
  10. Inspect the O-ring sealing surface on the inlet hose.
  11. When replacing the heater inlet connector, remove the retainer from the hose.

Discard the retainer.

12. When replacing the inlet hose, but not the connector, complete the following steps:
    12.1. Remove the retainer from the inlet hose.
    12.2. Reinsert the retainer in the connector.
  13. When reusing the inlet hose and the container, keep the retainer in place on the hose.