roadsidejerry, auto mechanic
Experience:  Auto Mechanic 39 years, 30 with NYPD Fleet Service Division

98 chevy: bad fuel..fuel pump..the fuel filter, have had electeic amps

I have a 98 chevy silverado with a bad fuel pump problem please HELP! Ihave change this fuel pump 4 times in the last 1500 miles, have canged the fuel filter, have had electeic amps checked,and to no evel still fuel pump is shoot again. what in the world should i do now. Y.D. Fraley
Category: Chevy
Expert:  roadsidejerry replied 8 years ago.
Hi, if the truck runs well when the pump is replaced, then the replacement itself fails,the only explanations are defective parts, or debris in the fuel tank. We now only use AC DELCO pumps purchased from the dealer,due to problems with aftermarket brands.As far as the tank,you have to look closely for any foreign matter inside,the tank can be cleaned by most radiator repair shops.I hope this will help you with your problem,Jerry.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to roadsidejerry's Post: at this time all pumps used for replacement have been aftermarket my next step was to go the additional expence for the AC Delco and see if there would be any differance, will let you know.
Have you determined what is failing,is the pump burning up electrically,or the pump mechanisim just stops pumping. Look into the tank for dirt,and also there may be a baffle that can come loose and hit the pump. Another thing to look at is the filler tube,if there are any holes in it ,it can let dirt get into the tank.Good luck,Jerry.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to roadsidejerry's Post: neather really, after about 300 to 500 miles it just does not pump enough presure to open the injectors and let the fuel in to the intake correctly. the pump still pumps but it just dont pump the required presure needed. only some where around 16 to 19 psi at the check valve.
As long as you have checked power and ground at the pump,it sounds like the pumps are the problem. I have never had as much trouble as you are having,but I will tell you most shops are going the OEM parts route,do to comebacks.