Brandon
Brandon, ASE certified GM technician
Experience:  GM dealership technician, ASE master certified, world-renowned tech/automotive college graduate
10634523

1997 Malibu Theft System . How can this system be bypassed

Customer Question

1997 Malibu Theft System . How can this system be bypassed? The blinking light and not starting is a pain. Did the relearn reset 6 times.And wait for the reset every time i start the car
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Brandon replied 6 years ago.
You need to replace the ignition switch and the ignition lock cylinder. Then do the relearn: put the key in after you replace all that stuff, try starting it, just let go of the key after you try to start it, the key should be in the on position, leave it there for 10 minutes. After that, the tail lights should flash and at that time you should try starting it, shut the key off, and then it should fire right up. That should fix the problem.
Brandon, ASE certified GM technician
Experience: GM dealership technician, ASE master certified, world-renowned tech/automotive college graduate
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Back to system bypass. If a remote starter is put in that system must be bypassed.I am not puting in the remote start just want the sys. bypassed.
Expert:  Brandon replied 6 years ago.

There are little sensors in there that read the voltage of the key. The voltage can only be a difference of a very small amount, like 1/10th of a volt. I would say your best bet is to replace the lock cylinder and ignition switch. If you were to try to bypass the system, you would probably spend more money and time (and possibly cause more damage) than if you were to just replace the parts. Someone could also just steal your car by turning the ignition switch.

So, it really is not as simple as just bypassing the system. The sensor is skewed somehow and it's reading wrong. This is not the first time I have seen this, it seems to be a very common problem. The part number has changed for the cylinder and ignition switch several times, so let's say that yours is a generation 1 and now they are at a generation 3, that means that they've eliminated most of the 'bugs' in the system, so your best bet, in my humble opinion, is to replace the parts. Please do let me know if you need more info or have any questions.

Expert:  Wrenchtech replied 6 years ago.

This is a different expert

Here’s how you can bypass the sensor.

Go buy a 2.2k (2200 ohm) ohm resistor at an electronics store. Go to radio shack and just get one as close to that as you can. Remove the covers on the steering column and locate three small wires at the lock cylinder. Cut the yellow wire and the orange/black wire or the yellow and black on some vehicles. Solder the resistor between those wires. Tape it up and put the covers back on and follow this relearn procedure. If this doesn't work you have a wiring problem in the steering column.