Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION

how do you disable the passlock theft deterent system ...

Customer Question

how do you disable the passlock theft deterent system on a 05 chevy trailblazer? I know this to be the problem but would rather just disable it myself than pay to get it fixed....actually my father is a retired diesel mechanic and will do it for me if I could just print out the procedure for him. I will be extremely grateful.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
There is no way to disable this system. Everytime you turn the key from off to on, the engine control computer verifies that the ignition cylinder has not been tampered with and allows for the engine to run as it should. Without this system being operate, your trailblazer will not run. Feel free to contact me with any questions, or if you would prefer a second opinion! Good luck! If you have a theft light on and this vehicle will not start, let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to carhelp4uhere's Post: well if it can't be disabled, about how much does it cost to be repaired?
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
Do you have a security message showing with the key in the on position?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to carhelp4uhere's Post: yes
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.

Ok diagnosing this problem is not going to be easy without the access of a scan tool that can actually read body failure codes such as the theft system. These tools are the $3000.00 units that the pros use. I can tell you that gm in general has a real problem with the passlock sensor. This is a sensor located in the ignition cylinder housing that actually tells the system that the key cylinder was turned and uses a coded message to allow for a start everytime you start the vehicle. There is a chance that a simple relearn procedure will repair this problem for you. Here is how to do that.

Important: Do not remove the key from the ignition during this procedure. If the key is removed, the procedure will have to be performed from the beginning.

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON. The vehicle will not start.
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale. After approximately 10 minutes, the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  5. Repeat steps 1-4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes. The vehicle is now ready to relearn the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

Important: The vehicle learns the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or password.
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience: ASE CERTIFICATION
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to carhelp4uhere's Post: ok, thank you. I will accept your answer and try this. So if GM has a problem with the passlock system, why is there not a recall and do you know who I could call to put in a complaint?
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
You can call 1-800-chev-usa to complain about this. As far as a recall, they do not consider this a safety issue, so they really are not obligated to fix it for free.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to carhelp4uhere's Post: That's such a shame though. People spend their money on Chevy's in good faith hoping to have a reliable vehicle to transport their children in, etc. And they knowingly have this problem with their vehicles and bring people into the shop to suck up more of their money. Shame on GM. This is my last Chevy buy...
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
I honestly feel that they are all being built in the same manner. Its buisness for these car manufacturers both american and foreign. I do not see an end to it as the electronics they are using are only getting to be more of a hassle to work with and more money to repair. I hope it works out for you. Just make sure when you call gm, that you let them know your displeasure. I have seen some great things from this department.