Scott K
Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor
Experience:  20 yrs Experience; GM factory Training ASE Master Certified with L1 advanced engine diagnostics

2001 Chevy Silverado 1500: 4WD and 180..knocking..steering wheel

I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 with 4WD and 180,000 miles on it. Any time I am making a right hand turn, with any speed at all, there is a low-pitched rattling/knocking that I can hear coming from down around the left front wheel and also feel a little bit coming up through the steering wheel. I can hear it only on the left side and it sounds like it''s coming from down by, and maybe slightly above, my left foot.

You don''t notice this much if you''re just making a right hand turn in the grocery store parking lot, but is very noticeable on longer radius, higher speed turns like freeway entrance or exit ramps. It does not do it in left hand turns. This situation has been there to some degree for a couple of years, but lately has started to get perceptibly worse. I have had the ball joints replaced and this had no effect on the problem.

Hello and welcome to Just answer,

The noise you hear and feel is the upper intermediate steering shaft, there is a GM bulletin on your concern, when the bulletin was first issued in 2002 the fix was to remove the shaft and lube, this would fix the concern but it would come back, since then GM has revised the bulletin, the new fix which is a permenant is to replace the shaft.

This shaft is the shaft that connects the steering column shaft to the steering gear.

If you attempt the repair yourself do not allow the steering wheel to turn with the shaft removed or the air bag components could be damaged.

Below is a copy of the bulletin.

#00-02-35-003N: Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can Be Felt in Steering Wheel and/or Steering Column (Replace Upper Intermediate Steering Shaft (I-Shaft) Assembly) - (Mar 26, 2008)

Subject:Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can Be Felt in Steering Wheel and/or Steering Column (Replace Upper Intermediate Steering Shaft [I-Shaft] Assembly)

Models:2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade Models
1999-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Models (Classic)
2000-2006 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe Models
2002-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche
1999-2007 GMC Sierra Models (Classic)
2000-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL Models
2003-2006 HUMMER H2

Attention: This Service Bulletin DOES NOT include Mid-Size Utilities such as Buick Rainier, Chevrolet TrailBlazer Models, GMC Envoy Models or Oldsmobile Bravada. Refer to Service Bulletin 02-02-35-006A or newer for Mid-Size Utilities.

This bulletin is being revised to add diagnostic information (refer to Diagnostic Tips) to check the lower steering column bearing as a potential source of the noise. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-02-35-003M (Section 02 -- Steering).

Some customers may comment on a clunk-type noise coming from under the hood that also can be felt in the steering wheel. These conditions may be more noticeable when turning at low speeds on rough road surfaces.

Diagnostic Tips

Use the information below to help diagnose the source of the noise.

The lower steering column bearing may create the same noise as the intermediate shaft. Before replacing the I-shaft, verify the noise isn't being caused by movement from the lower steering column bearing. Check the bearing for movement by pushing up and down on the I-shaft where it attaches to the steering column.
Frame Snap and/or Popping Type Noise -- A frame snap or popping type noise can be duplicated on rough or smooth road surfaces with steering wheel input to the left or the right. This type of noise can be HEARD and is typically louder with the windows rolled down. For additional information, refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 03-08-61-002F or newer -- Snap/Popping Type Noise Coming from Front of Vehicle (Remove Front Crossmember, Change Fastener Orientation).
Intermediate Shaft Clunk -- Intermediate shaft clunk is heard and FELT in the steering wheel and/or steering column area, typically while driving on rough road surfaces with steering wheel input.

Replace the I-Shaft with P/N 19153614.

Do NOT lubricate or exercise the I-Shaft.

I-shaft P/N 19153614 has been designed to replace previous designed dampened and non-dampened I-shafts. The physical difference in the yoke size will accommodate all vehicles listed in this bulletin.
Due to the design of the new I-shaft, it is not possible to lubricate/grease the I-shaft.

Replace the steering column upper intermediate shaft with an improved design shaft that will eliminate the clunk noise using the procedure listed below.

1. Set the front wheels in the straight ahead position.

Notice: On the 2002 and later model year vehicles, the steering column LOCK was removed from the steering column. It is critical that the J 42640 - Steering column Anti-Rotation Pin is used when servicing steering columns on 2002 and later model year vehicles. Failure to use the J 42640 may result in damage to the SIR coil.

2. Set the steering wheel in the LOCK position on 2001 and prior model year vehicles.
    Object Number: 333146  Size: SH

3. For 2002 and later vehicles, install the J 42640 in the steering column lower access hole.
    Object Number: 362505  Size: SH

4. From under the hood, remove the lower bolt that connects the upper intermediate shaft to the steering gear coupling shaft.
  5. Slide the shaft towards the dash in order to disengage the shaft from the steering gear coupling shaft.
  6. For vehicles equipped with adjustable foot pedals, perform the following steps:
    6.1. Reposition the carpet away from the accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor.
    6.2. Remove the two nuts retaining the accelerator pedal to the bulkhead.
    6.3. Reposition the accelerator pedal out of the way so the intermediate shaft can be removed.

Object Number: 730294  Size: SH

7. From inside the vehicle, remove the upper bolt from the upper intermediate steering shaft (1) to the steering column connection.
  8. Remove the upper intermediate steering shaft assembly.
    8.1. From inside the vehicle, slide the shaft down and off the steering column.
    8.2. From inside the vehicle, slide the upper intermediate shaft through the dash boot seal and remove the shaft from the vehicle.
  9. Replace the upper intermediate shaft.
  10. Install the upper intermediate steering shaft through the dash boot seal and slide the lower end into the steering gear coupling shaft.
  11. Raise the upper end of the intermediate steering shaft and install into the steering column shaft.
  12. Install the upper bolt and nut.

Tighten the bolt to 47 N·m (35 lb ft).

13. Install the lower bolt and nut.

Tighten the bolt to 50 N·m (37 lb ft).

14. For vehicles equipped with adjustable foot pedals, perform the following steps:
    14.1. Reposition the accelerator pedals into position on the bulkhead.
    14.2. Install the two retaining nuts.

Tighten the nuts to 20 N·m (15 lb ft).

14.3. Reposition the carpet into place.

Parts Information

Part Number

Shaft - Upper Intermediate Steering