GM Expert
GM Expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified and over 25 years Experience in the Automotive Field
10932846

An 05 duramax, it has a fuel knock in one of the cylinders..injector

Customer Question

i have an 05 duramax, it has a fuel knock in one of the cylinders, i have changed the injector, but it still knocks and smokes
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Expert replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer/p>

A quick question for you.

Did you replace just one injector or all eight.

thanks msgtperrin

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i only replaced the injector on the cylinder that was knocking
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
by the way after i replaced the injector it ran good for 15 seconds then the fuel knock came back
Expert:  GM Expert replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer

I work on 6.6 everyday and what is scary is that I, like you, have replaced one injector and then another went out. Do you have the ability to check codes and see if there is a code in the computer. If you can I can give you the specs and see how close if any are out of specs. If the same one is bad again then we can address that.

Thanks Rae1000

msgtperrin

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
hi msqtperrin,

i do not have the ability to check codes. after i replaced the injector from the cylinder that was knocking. the knock came back from the same cylinder.

thanks Customer
Expert:  GM Expert replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer

I have seen after installing a injector that it has been bad. I have seen while removing the old injector people have left the copper compression ring in the bottom of the injector sleeve. But the only way to get a fuel knock again on the same clyinder is because that injector is dumping fuel in the cylinder. I think the best thing to do is see if you know anyone with a snap on scanner or a gm scan tool to see the specs. Please let me know what you find

thanks msgtperrin

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
HI MSGTPERRIN,

I BOUGHT A SCANNER CODE READINGS ARE P2146, P0206
P2146 IS GROUP "A" CIRCUIT OPEN.
P0206 IS #6 CYLINDER CIRCUIT OPEN AND THAT'S THE ONE THAT IS KNOCKING, PLEASE ADVISE
THANKS
Customer