Scott K
Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor
Experience:  20 yrs Experience; GM factory Training ASE Master Certified with L1 advanced engine diagnostics
9480930

2000 chevy Impala: the fuel gauge is no longer accurate..inclined

Customer Question

I have a 2000 chevy Impala and the fuel gauge is no longer accurate. When I fill up it moves to full but hardly ever goes below the half point. I am very mechaniclally inclined and would like to fix myself. Any suggestions?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Scott K replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Welcome to Just answer,

The most likely cause and is a common failure is the sending unit inside the fuel tank.

Your in luck!, On your car you do not have to remove the fuel tank for access, in the trunk there is a cover that gives access to the fuel tank sender.

Relieve the fuel pressure by removing the fuel pump relay under the hood and starting engine an let run out of fuel.

To get to the cover open the trunk and remove the floor covering, you want to make sure no carpet is left in the trunk because spillage of gasoline is a real threat and the car will smell like gasoline for weeks. Next remove the seven bolts holding the cover, then remove the cover. Next the fuel lines and wiring connectors are removed then the snap ring that holds the module down is removed, and then the fuel pump module is lifted out of the car, there will be gasoline inside so keep upright!.

The fuel level sensor is on the side of the fuel pump module and is a resitor card that the contacts wear and causes problems such as the one you are having.

Here are a few diagrams that support the text above. If you have more questions please reply back.

Scott

Rear trunk trim and carpeting.

Object Number: 460553  Size: SH

Object Number: 460377  Size: SH

Cover

Object Number: 65739  Size: SH

Fuel module

Object Number: 66012  Size: SH

Fuel sending unit Level sensor

Object Number: 50636  Size: SH

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Scott K's Post: I WON'T BE ATTEMPTING THE REPAIR UNTIL LATER THIS WEEK WHEN THE FUEL TANK IS LESS THAN HALF FUL AND WILL NOT APPROVE PAYMENT BEFORE I COMPLETE THE REPAIR. WHICH OF THE 7 PARTS LISTED ON THE LAST DIAGRAHM IS THE SENSOR PLEASE? IS THIS PART READILLY AVAIL AT MY LOCAL NAPA STORE? I HOPE THESE QUESTIONS DO NOT QUALIFY FOR ADDED RESPONSE FEES AND IF SO PLEASE DO NO RESPOND.
THANKS
FRANK MIELE
Expert:  Scott K replied 6 years ago.

No problem I trust that that you will accept when you are satisfied with the answer,

The one that is labeled fuel level sensor (the last one).

I checked with NAPA online and it does not show the part available, but a phone call to them would not hurt, you will be asking for a fuel level sensor. If they don't have it ask them if you have a local parts store that handles AC delco parts and then request thier phone number. If none of these work, you will need to contact a local GM dealer.

No, there are no extra charges, you can always reply back.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you, or if you have more questions.

Scott

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Scott K's Post: there are 7 parts numbered but none labeled which is why I am asking which of the 7 parts is the actual sensor???
Expert:  Scott K replied 6 years ago.

I apologize, I misunderstood,

Part 5 in the diagram is the fuel level sensor. It has an arm with a float attached that floats on the top of the gasoline, on the other end is the resistor card which fails. There will also be a wiring harness attached to the replacement part.

Expert:  Scott K replied 6 years ago.

How did you make out finding the part?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
not attempting any part of this job until next week at best. My personal schedule just got complicated and this repair is not life or death.
Expert:  Scott K replied 6 years ago.
okay was just sending you a message to keep the question open so you would still have access, after a few days of inactivity the question closes.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hello Scott. I still have not performed the repair and will not get to it this week. I will approve after I do the repair and know that this has solved my problem.
Thanks
Expert:  Scott K replied 6 years ago.

No problem

Thanks