GMTechBernard
GMTechBernard, Shop Foreman - GM World Class Tech
Experience:  GM
6758627

2006 chevy uplander: light came..check engine light..I disconnect

Customer Question

I have a 2006 chevy uplander that when I filled up the engine service light came on and the gas gauge started acting up. Since then the check engine light has gone off but the gauge still isnt functioning right. If I disconnect and reconnect the battery might this reset the program or is there a problem with the sensor. I have 40,000 miles on the vechicle
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GMTechBernard replied 6 years ago.

It definitely sounds like the fuel level sender is going bad, but before I spent any money on repairs, I would at least get the Engine Control Module scanned for trouble codes and see what fault was recorded. If you do have a Fuel Level Sender code stored, then you probably need one. If you have additional codes stored, they may all be related and point to a bigger problem. Some parts stores offer to scan trouble codes for customers, so you may want to call around to some of the local stores and see if they provide that service.

Also, what you may want to check, is the passthrough connector under the vehicle. Its on the drivers side. If you lay on your back and slide under the van, kinda between the driver seat and second row, you will see where some wires plug into the floor (pass through connector). Unplug the wires and see if water comes out. If it does, then you have a water leak into the inside of the van, and its draining out through the passthrough. Of these wires, two of them go to the fuel level sender and if water gets in the connector, its common for the gauge to go erratic, as well as set fuel level sensor codes, fuel tank pressure sensor codes and Evap Vent solenoid codes.

I hope this has helped and please hit "reply" if you have additional questions!

Experience: GM
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to GMTechBernard's Post: The code did say the fuel sender was the problem. Rain and water has not been an issue where I live so i guess I will just have to have it replaced.
Still check the passthrough connector, because 90% of the water filled vans are NOT because of rain water, but a missing Evaporator drain elbow!