Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Is there anyway to reset the passlock on a 2002 chevy ...

Is there anyway to reset the passlock on a 2002 chevy blazer without going to the shop. It's been sitting unable to start for about a good 4 months now.. a new fuel pump has been put in and will not start. Also is there something else we can try?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 8 years ago.

Here is the procedure.

• Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  • Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
  • Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  • Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  • Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes, the vehicle is now ready to relearn the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

Important: The vehicle learns the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

• Start the engine, the vehicle has now learned the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or password.
  • With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed, history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles
  •  

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
    just outta curiosity.. vehicle is not here with me now.. at shop... my (so-called) mechanic wants to tear down everything and charge me a fortune.. (tryin' to save a few $$$; if you know what I mean).. is there something else I should be looking at?
    Expert:  Dave Nova replied 8 years ago.
    Try the passlock relearn first. If the security light stays on and the vehicle will not start, it would most likely be the passlock sensor, which is part of the ignition lock cylinder case.
    Customer: replied 8 years ago.
    Sorry took so long to get back to you. Unfortunately I can't get to my blazer this week.. Mechanic left for a week on vacation and truck is locked up in his shop. But I do have another question on this... Is it possible the key that he and we've been using have a chip in it that could be bad? I have another key and thought about giving that a try...
    Expert:  Dave Nova replied 8 years ago.
    The key does not have a chip. The sensor does not read resistance directly off of the key like the old systems. You could try your other key maybe the system remembers that key. If not, try the relearn procedure.
    Customer: replied 8 years ago.
    Thank you for the info... sorry took so long to get back to you. I was having problems getting onto the site for some reason.

Think we found the problem...(fingers crossed)... the air charge sensor is reading -38 degrees...

Gonna try that next.. hope that will work.

By the way... the using the other key and the relearn system didn't work... our guy put it back on the computer and this is what it's reading now. I do appreciate the help alot!!!