Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

I have a 2000 Silverado and the drivers seat seems broken.

I have a 2000 Silverado and the drivers seat seems broken. The back right side of the seat has become very unstable and it seems that there is something within the mechanism of the back that is broken. Therefore I need to remove the cloth cover so I can investigate. The problem is I am having trouble removing the cover. On the bottom of the back there is a snap-on type mechanism, however I don't want to force it because I am afraid of breaking it. Can you give me information on how to remove the seat cover and some ideas of what could be broken? Thanks
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.

The best way to determine what is wrong with the seat mechanism would be to remove the seat and inspect the under side. If you remove the upholstry all you will see is a metal seat pan. You have to remove the seat first to service the seat cover anyways.

Refer to Disabling the SIR System.

Object Number: 363709  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above imageidth=
  1. Disable the SIR. Refer to Disabling the SIR System .
  2. Move the seat to the full rearward position. Remove the front seat bolt cover (3), if equipped.
  3. Remove the seat retaining rear bolts (1).
  4. Move the seat to the full rearward position in order to remove the seat retaining front nuts (2).
  5. Disconnect the electrical harness, if equipped.
  6. Remove the seat from the vehicle.

1. Remove the seat from the vehicle. Refer to Front Seat Replacement - Bucket .
  2. Remove the seat trim panel. Refer to Front Seat Trim Panel Replacement .
    Object Number: 381493  Size: SH
  3. Remove the outboard seat belt anchor nut. Pull the belt through the seat cushion.
    Object Number: 378531  Size: SH
  4. Remove the front nuts (2) on the underside of the seat cushion.
    Object Number: 407184  Size: SH
  5. Unsnap the lumbar cable (6) (disconnect the lumbar wire harness if equipped with power lumbar).
    Object Number: 378531  Size: SH
  6. Lift the seat cushion up off the rear plastic holders (1) on the underside of the seat cushion, and pull forward.
  7. Remove the seat switch bezel. Refer to Driver Seat and Passenger Seat Adjuster Switch Bezel Replacement .
    Object Number: 407184  Size: SH
  8. Remove the lumbar actuator (5).
    Object Number: 386197  Size: SH
  9. Unclip the seat trim cover from the seat cushion frame.
    Object Number: 386196  Size: SH
  10. Using a side motion, carefully separate the seat cushion trim cover from the seat cushion pad.
  11. Remove the pad from the seat cushion frame.
  12. Remove the seat cushion heater element, if equipped. Refer to Driver Seat and Passenger Seat Cushion Heater Replacement .

Installation Procedure

Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dave Nova's Post: I know it is difficult to diagnose over the computer, however the problem isn't with the actual seat, it is with the back of the seat. Opposite the seatbelt harness. The seatbelt side of the seat back is very firm and stable. The other side is very unstable. You can move it back and forth with your hand. It is the back of the seat that I need to inspect and remove the cover.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.

I am sorry. I misunderstood your original question. The back cover has a J channel at the bottom, use a screw driver or bent pick to assist in separating this. Once you have the cover pulled up, you can inspect the mechanism. You may have a bolt or two backed out, if so reinstall them with some loctite.

Removal Procedure

Caution: This vehicle is equipped with a Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) System. Failure to follow the correct procedure could cause the following conditions:

Air bag deployment
    Personal injury
    Unnecessary SIR system repairs
    In order to avoid the above conditions, observe the following guidelines:
    Refer to SIR Component Views in order to determine if you are performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring.
    If you are performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring, disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System.

1. If equipped with side air bags, disable the air bag module. Refer to Disabling the SIR System .
  2. Remove the head restraint. Refer to Front Seat Head Restraint Replacement .
  3. Remove the seat trim panel. Refer to Front Seat Trim Panel Replacement .
    Object Number: 381493  Size: SH
  4. Remove the outboard seat belt anchor nut. Pull the seat belt through the seat cushion.
  5. Disengage the J-strip retainer on the bottom of the seat back cover.
  6. Disconnect the heater seat element connector, if equipped.
    Object Number: 381479  Size: SH
  7. Using a side motion, carefully lift the seat back cover partially off the foam pad in order to access the arm rest clip.
  8. Remove the armrest, if equipped. Refer to Front Seat Armrest Replacement .
  9. Using a flat bladed tool lift the seat cover over the air bag cover.
  10. Remove the seat cover to the top of the seat.
    Object Number: 378543  Size: SH
  11. Disengage the panel fasteners in order to remove the rear cardboard panel.
  12. Unclip the head restraint retainers. Refer to Front Seat Head Restraint Retainer Replacement .
  13. Remove the bolts which retain the seat belt tower cover.
    Object Number: 381472  Size: SH
  14. Remove the seat belt tower cover.
  15. Pull the seat belt and the seat belt bezel through the opening in the seat cover.
  16. Lift the remainder of the seat back cover off the foam pad.
  17. Carefully remove the foam pad from the frame.