ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience:  +15 years experience with Chevrolet. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.
907259

how to replace key ignition switch 1997 jimmy

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 6 years ago.
Do you have the old key still?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes

OK, that sure makes it easir...

Here you go!

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

CAUTION These models are equipped with a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), which uses an air bag. Whenever working near any of the SRS components, such as the impact sensors, the air bag module, steering column and instrument panel, disable the SRS, as described in .

2. Disable the Supplemental Inflatable Restraint System (SIR). Refer to of this repair guide for this procedure.
  3. Unfasten the steering column-to-instrument panel retainers and lower the column.
  4. Unfasten the pan head screws from the upper column shroud and the Torx head screws from the lower column screws, then remove lower shroud by tilting it down to disengage the locking tabs. Lift up the upper shroud to access the cylinder hole.
  5. Hold the key in the START position.
  6. Insert a 1/16 Allen wrench or an awl into the lock cylinder access hole and push down on the cylinder retaining pin.
  7. Release the key to the RUN position and pull the lock cylinder from the column.

To install:

1. Install the upper shroud and lock cylinder as follows:
    1. Install the key in the cylinder and hold in it the RUN position.
    2. Make sure the sector in the lock module is in the RUN position.
    3. Engage the cylinder to the upper shroud, line up the locking tab and positioning tab with the slots in the lock module assembly, then push the cylinder into position.
  2. Install the upper shroud Torx head screws and tighten to 12 inch lbs. (1.4 Nm).
  3. Install the lower shroud, making sure the slots in the lower shroud engage the tabs on the upper shroud, then tilt the lower shroud up to snap the halves together. Install the lower shroud screws and tighten to 53 inch lbs. (6 Nm).
  4. Place the steering column into position and tighten the retainers.
  5. Activate the Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system. For details, please refer to the procedure located in .
  6. Connect the negative battery cable.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 1: An awl or 1/16 Allen wrench can be used to push on the lock cylinder retaining pin Click image to see an enlarged view