Scott K
Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor
Experience:  20 yrs Experience; GM factory Training ASE Master Certified with L1 advanced engine diagnostics
9480930

How do I replace the antenna mount on a 2001 silverado

No Comment Added
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Scott K replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer

Do you have replacement antenna that you are attempting to install?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Scott K's Post: Yes I do.
Expert:  Scott K replied 6 years ago.

Is this a factory antenna?

The factory antenna wire does not make it to the radio there is a "splice" or extension cable on the end.

First the Instrument panel upper cover is removed

Instrument Panel Upper Trim Pad Replacement

Set the air flow control to the instrument panel (IP) vent position if equipped with air conditioning (A/C).

1. Apply the parking brake to prevent the vehicle from moving.
  2. Move the shift lever all the way down (if the transmission is automatic).
  3. Tilt the steering wheel to the full down position.
  4. Remove the IP cluster trim plate bezel. Object Number: 348724  Size: SH

5. Remove the end panels. Left is shown, right is similar.
  6. Remove the right side air outlets.
    Object Number: 348728  Size: SH

7. Remove the assist handle by depressing the release tabs accessed through the air outlet duct holes.
  8. Remove the windshield pillar garnish moldings.
  9. Remove the bolts retaining the pad to IP assembly.
    Object Number: 350507  Size: SH

10. Left the trim pad up to disconnect the electrical connector (1) to the ambient light sensor on the underside of the trim pad.
    Object Number: 348717  Size: SH

11. Remove the trim pad from the assembly.

Radio Antenna Replacement

1. Remove the I/P trim pad.
  2. Remove the antenna mast.
  3. Remove the outboard section of the cowl vent grille panel.
  4. Remove the secondary air injection pump, if equipped.
  5. Remove the passenger side battery, if equipped. Object Number: 370271  Size: SH

6. Remove the 3 bolts.
  7. Remove the cable grommet from the body.
  8. Disconnect the antenna cable from the extension cable.
  9. Tie a long wire to the antenna cable.
  10. From outside of the vehicle, pull the antenna base and cable assembly until the wire can be easily accessible.

Ensure part of the wire is still in the vehicle

11. Remove the wire from the antenna cable.

Install procedure

1. From outside the vehicle, tie the wire to the new antenna cable and base assembly.
  2. From inside the vehicle, pull on the long wire until the cable can be connected and grommet seated.
  3. Install the cable grommet to the body.
    Object Number: 370271  Size: SH

4. Remove the wire and connect the antenna cable to the cable extension.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

5. Install the 3 bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 5 N·m (44 lb in).

6. Install the passenger side battery, if equipped.
  7. Install the secondary air injection pump, if equipped.
  8. Notice: Use tape on the tool surface so that you do not damage the paint on the antenna mast.

9. Install the antenna mast.

Tighten
    Tighten the mast to 6 N·m (53 lb in).

10. Install the outboard section of the cowl vent grille panel.
  11. Install the I/P trim pad.
Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor
Experience: 20 yrs Experience; GM factory Training ASE Master Certified with L1 advanced engine diagnostics