Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION

2003 Chevy Malibu: with a 3.1 litre..crank..fuel pressure..fuel rail

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Chevy Malibu with a 3.1 litre. Every time the key is cycled it fires for a split second then just continues to crank. Has a strong spark, has 60 lbs. of fuel pressure at the test nipple on fuel rail. Vehicle will run with ether sprayed in throttle bottle. Hoping you have suggestions before I have to the pull the plentum off to check power at the injectors. Also tried disconnecting TPS and map sensor with no change. Car was running fine, car was shut off for 20 minutes, tried to restart and has not run since.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
With the key in the on position, do you have a security indicator on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The theft systtem light is flashing when key is in the on position.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.

Ok. then this problem is with the security system. The proper way to diagnose this problem is by using a scan tool with the ability to read body trouble codes such as the theft system. This test will give you a trouble code that will further assist you to find the actual problem. I can tell you that better than 95% of these models have been fixed by replacing the ignition cylinder. The ignition cylinder houses the passlock sensor which has been a huge failure on all gm models. The problem is that without the scan tool you will be simply guessing. Simple obd2 scan tools will not be able to access the info needed to diagnose this problem. You MUST use one of the $3000.00 units like the pros use to get the trouble code. There is a simple releanr process that can reset the theft system and possibly allow for your car to run once again. Here is how to do that.

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  5. The vehicle is now ready to relearn the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

Important: The vehicle learns the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6. Start the engine, the vehicle has now learned the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or password.

Feel free to contact me with any questions! Good luck!

Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience: ASE CERTIFICATION
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Great job! It's running now! What are the chances of this happening to this vehicle again?
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
Actually this problem may come back again and again. This is why I stated what was needed to be done to properly diagnose this problem. The relearn is a simple fix, but it may not last.